FrancoR

canopies with slow decent rate

Hi, i am currently looking for a new canopy to replace my PD 190 9-Cell. I want a canopy that will flare much better, wich should not be hard to find but will also sink low.
I jumped a Spectre 170 last week i thought it sank quite a bit faster than my PD190.
What are the canopies out there with a slow decent rate but will be more responive than my PD190? I weigh 200lb out the door.

Thanks for any sugestions

Frank
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

.... if you keep it at 190, then you'll not increase your speed very dramatically.

and i will also make my Icon explode :-) 190sqft. and ZeroP ist to much.

So a Sabre 2 will glide better than a Sabre of the same size.

I was pretty surprised when I went from a PD-150 to a Sabre2 135. It has a much higher descent rate (but probably a better glide ratio except in tailwinds). Combined with the much softer (longer) openings, I noticed right away that I had a lot less time to play around with the Sabre2 and I had to start planning my pattern higher up. It sure is fun though, and going from an F-111 canopy to one with TONS of flare power makes it twice as fun.

I'm curious... are you looking for low descent rates or high glide ratios? They aren't necessarily the same thing.

Dave

Hi, i am currently looking for a new canopy to replace my PD 190 9-Cell. I want a canopy that will flare much better, wich should not be hard to find but will also sink low.
I jumped a Spectre 170 last week i thought it sank quite a bit faster than my PD190.
What are the canopies out there with a slow decent rate but will be more responive than my PD190? I weigh 200lb out the door.

Thanks for any sugestions

A Spectre 170 with some brakes applied, Spectre 190, Sabre 2 170 with some brakes applied, Sabre 2 190, Stiletto 120 (not a choice for you) with a lot of brakes, Stiletto 190. To get a lower sink rate you need to jump a larger canopy or fly in brakes/rear risers.

With rear riser input on my Samurai 105 I can keep up with a same-sized guy under a Spectre 170 - meaning I'm matching him on both forward speed and sink rate.

I'm curious... are you looking for low descent rates or high glide ratios? They aren't necessarily the same thing.

I am looking for a low descent rate, doesn't need to sink slow all the time but should when i apply brakes.

I think the Pilot will probably be such a canopy.

To get a lower sink rate you need to jump a larger canopy or fly in brakes/rear risers.

Drew, I don't quite agree unless I missunderstand what you mean by sink rate. A stiletto 97 and a Stiletto 150 will have the same glide. The 97 will just go down the slide faster, that's all. In no wind condition the two canopies will land in the same spot, the difference is that the 97 will land sooner.

Few weeks back I was flying next to a guy in a PD210. I was on my Alpha 99. We were both flying at full flight and I noticed how much flatter and faster my glide was. I bet that was due to the material (F 111) of the PD210 rather than the trim giving a higher sink rate.

Another time next to a Viper 150 I noticed the glide to be the same but the speed was just different.

Flying in brakes, even better rears, will change the angle of attack hance giving a better glide and WORSE sink rate, you'll glide further.

As for the original question, do you want a canopy with a flatter glide? That makes a canopy with horrible sink rate! If you want to sink get yourself a DEMO or a BASE canopy.

Edited to add:
According to PD those are the relationships among their canopies' glide ratios. Of course they don't rappresent the actual ratios just the relationships.

So the Spectre has the flattest of all and the Velo the steepest.
Memento Audere Semper

As for the original question, do you want a canopy with a flatter glide? That makes a canopy with horrible sink rate! If you want to sink get yourself a DEMO or a BASE canopy.

Ok, this is getting confusing.
I want a canopy that will keep me in the air long. It doesn't need to at any brake setting, but i want the option to stay up long.

want a canopy that will keep me in the air long. It doesn't need to at any brake setting, but i want the option to stay up long.

Then the bigger the better if it is just time you have in mind!

A Spectre 230 will keep you in the air quite a bit and at 0.86 you still get some performance.

Edited to add:
If the 230 it's too big you can get a Spectre 190, it's a 7 cell so it packs smaller than a Sabre2 190 and should fit into your main container. It also has a flatter glide than the Sabre2.
Memento Audere Semper

Most ZP canopies in the performance range you are flying now and are wanting to move to will have less of a "decent rate" than your pd 190. This is due to the fact that your PD190 is constructed from f-111 which allows more air to enter/exit per square inch of fabric. ZP canopies will generally stay in the air longer and glide further than an f111 canopy of similar trim and planform. F111 wont' fly as far and will sink faster.

Cheers,
Travis