NickDG

An Apple Pie for my Grandma . . .

About thirty years ago I was visiting my Grandparents (before they both passed away) and sitting in their living room watching a football game. It was then my Grandmother suddenly called me into the kitchen. She was born on the other side (Italy) and was very proud when she became a U.S. citizen but her understanding of English was still a bit lacking.

"Nicky! (She always called my Nicky.) "To be a good American boy," she told me in Italian, "you have to be baseball and apple pie." (Yes, she was taking that phrase a bit too literally, LOL!) As she already knew I played baseball she spent the next couple of hours schooling me on how to bake an apple pie.

I always wanted to try it on my own but sadly I never got around to it before she passed away. So being it's raining today in So Cal and being I have the time here goes! Apple pie from scratch!

The photos are before and after baking. Man, the house smells good. I'll have to wait four hours before tasting, so I'll report back at about 8:PM . . .

I'm finally a good American Boy! Thanks Grandma!

NickD :)

The thing in the middle is a pie bird, look it up, ya heathen! LOL!

I actually played J.V. ball in High School (center-field) and I had a pretty good arm and was a decent hitter. The Varsity Team was looking for a catcher so I switched positions. I could call a game okay, but it turned out I was a blinker. Every time a batter swung the bat I would blink my eyes. If my glove was in the right spot I was okay, but if not I got beaned (a lot) or missed the ball entirely.

The coaches did everything they could think of to break me of that habit but nothing worked. So one minute I was on my way to the Bigs and the next minute I was out on my ass. It was all a very tragic story. Then I became a skydiver, and well ya know, it was all downhill from there . . .

Looks great, All my trips to the states never once saw an apple pie:(

couple of questions, is it normal for the pastry covering the filling to
be layerd in pieces, if so why?
does it have a pastry base?
do you add cinnamon and cloves to the apple.

One tip for the pastry. Make your own lard fron organic pig,
the transgenic shit they sell in stores ruins the taste.

Gone fishing

I'll get some tomorrow, vanilla!

But right now Julia looks a bit randy from watching me prance around the kitchen all afternoon in my baking apron.

(Gee, my Granny really knew her stuff!)

Old Country Grandmas

are the absolute BEST.....

Always the greatest of cooks...
Always there, to comfort a "sad little italian boy" when he needed it.
Always wore an apron,, EXCEPT when it was time for church, in which case she sported a fine and elegant dress, the approriate head wear,,,,and those Black Shoes, with the bulky heels, that grandmas ( at least Mine ) always wore...!!

Only thing left to DO>>>??????

bake another One , or two....
Nicky..... You done a really gooood-ah job;)
jt