JoeBobinNC

Fight Night: Icon Vs. Infinity

As far as rigger friendly, I would say the Infinity has an easier reserve container (but that shouldn't affect your decision). For the main, neither are particularly difficult to pack, but I'd probably pick the Infinity over the Icon.

Other people will have different opinions, and most will favor the rig they own. For the record, I own neither container.

(Looks at can of worms, shrugs)
The Infinity is a solid, proven design, while the Icon is still making improvents to the (new) design along the way. I really like the secondary riser covers on the Infinity. I like the armoured Infinity main risers. I don't like down-facing main flaps, but IMHO Infinity has the best on the market. I like the closing loop location on the Infinity (bottom flap).

Both companies offer good customer service, but from what I have seen, Infinity is right up there with L&B. They replaced (for free) rigs burnt in the Elsinore fire, while most other manufactors just offered discounts.

But like I wrote, I don't own either. Money not being a factor, I like the Vector3, the Talon FS, and the Mirage. And I think the Talon FS is the easiest packing rig, both main and reserve, but I don't own one because I like secondary riser covers.
(backs away from can of worms)

One reason I like the Infinity is because they're an hour's drive away. I assume people in other parts of the country (or even world) feel the same way about their local manufacturers. Since you're in North Carolina, is there anything near you?

And as someone else has said, Kelly is an awesome customer taker-care-of.

My other reasons for loving the Infinity are somewhere in the archives. Typical stuff like great looks, great value, love all the features and don't hate any of them, rig feels solid, blah blah blah. I feel I have a duty to be honest and say your mileage may vary on all these things. Or "different stokes for different folks." Since most of my student rigs were Infinitys I got to know how they felt. (Nice reserve handle, too. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Both good rigs. I have packed a dozen or so Inifinites, but only one Icon. If you had asked me last month, I would have recommended Infinity.

The only Infinity feature I am dubious about is the down-ward facing main pin cover, but Kelly seems to be the only guy who knows how make them stay closed all the time.

Icon has a "softer" fit if you stick with the canopies recommended by Aerodyne.

Infinity yokes fit great on guys with big shoulders, too bad I have not tried an Icon built for a guy my size.

Again I stole this off someone's post but it pretty much sums it up

The Infinity has the best riser coverage system on any rig currently available, period...and it looks good too. You basically have two complete layers holding the risers in place, but they're designed such that they don't lock against each other. I've never had a riser cover failure on either on my Infinities.

The Harness is designed with an intentionally low hip junction...something that a few riggers in Southern California just couldn't get their heads around. Based on how your body moves and the angles that your "traditional" harness takes when you wear it, you basically end up being "hung" by the harness. By moving the junction down a few inches you are "sitting" in the harness...more like sitting in a saddle than hanging. Add the nice, wide leg pads to the equation and you're in for a comfy ride.

For some reason, this being different from what others were doing freaked out some people and a few riggers complained that the harness must simply be built wrong. I don't know what these guys had against comfort, but Kelly's Harness is about as comfortable as they come.

VSE is a small company that is playing with the big boys. They don't spend a ton of money on their advertising because their rig is so good they don't need to. Infinity owners sell the rig, not flash graphics. Ask yourself this: Who pays for advertising? Answer: You do.

By keeping their costs down, they are able to keep their prices down. Do you want to pay more to allow your favorite mfg. to run bigger ads to make more money for them, or would you rather spend less money for a really great rig and spend the extra money on jump tickets? It's your choice.

The Infinity has killer pin protection, a good, solid wrap-around main container, is easy to pack and easy for your rigger to pack (and make look good!).

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Not only is it a great container, but Kelly & Co. look after their customers. B|

I've had an Infinity for over a year now with 350+ jumps on it. I can't say enough good things about the rig. It is very comfortable it's very well made and after my first cutaway(yesterday) I like them even more( I also like my rigger even more!).:)
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I think that Infinity is a really great rig. As everyone else has stated they are made great at low cost. I would like to comment on their customer service. Kelly is just incredible, I bought an Infinity and about 6 month after buying it I noticed my secondary riser covers were not a rigid as they were new and so I contacted Kelly on it. I shipped my rig up to him and he fixed it,repacked my reserve (since it was due) and shipped it back to me in one week for free. As for the standard facing pin protection, I personally like the fact that I can pick up my rig by that back cover and it will not open(try that with the up facing pin protection).
Oh just in case you are wondering the issue with the riser covers was not anything they did, just that Kelly got a batch of balistic material (a more rigid material) that went soft.
Kirk

I've never owned a brand new piece of skydiving equipment, hell my neptune is used. however, i am buying a brand new infinity and it should be here shortly from what i hear at VSE.

the thing is bomb proof in any flying position, comfortable, you can't beat the price, and the customer service is second to none. Give them a call and just talk with them, they are more than happy to talk to anybody. and lastly the infinity just looks bad ass!!!
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Get the Infinity.. Hands down...I have had 3 now.. and the customer service and the quality is incredible..

Freefly friendly... I take mine into the extremes of airspeed frequently..I love the feel of the air over the 225 MPH hour range. ( those are AVERAGE speeds for my whole skydives when I am speedskydiving.):)