nigel99

R1 on ice

I was impressed up until the 1:59 mark in the video. I have a feeling anybody with halfway decent skills could ride on that ice with those tires.

Can you imagine what those tires would do to you if you came off wrong?B|
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I was impressed up until the 1:59 mark in the video. I have a feeling anybody with halfway decent skills could ride on that ice with those tires.

That's why you wear good gear. They ice race a good bit around here. Bikes, quads, cars and trucks.

The studded tires give traction roughly equivalent to hard packed dirt. A lot of the bikes are dirt track bikes with the fenders and tires changed.
The fun ones to watch are the nonstudded cars and trucks. Those are mostly drag races, although they do a bit of oval too. Those are a lot more like demolition derbies than actual races.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

That's why you wear good gear. They ice race a good bit around here. Bikes, quads, cars and trucks.

The studded tires give traction roughly equivalent to hard packed dirt. A lot of the bikes are dirt track bikes with the fenders and tires changed.
The fun ones to watch are the nonstudded cars and trucks. Those are mostly drag races, although they do a bit of oval too. Those are a lot more like demolition derbies than actual races.

Are they just studded or are they spikes? They looked like metal spikes to me.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Are they just studded or are they spikes? They looked like metal spikes to me.

What I've seen is sheetmetal screws. The kind with the hex head for a wrench and the straight slot for the screwdriver.

This site lists both spiked and "screwed" tires and lists the screws (apparently special ones) as available seperately.

I haven't seen the big spikes (look on wiki) around here, but all we have is amateur/club stuff, nothing really "pro" class.
And I just go and watch once or twice a season, I don't compete.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

lol wow small world. If you look at the ice stunting vids that pop up on the right side, or search ice stunting you will find a bunch of stuff from the guys I have always rode with. If you look real hard you'll find vids of my buddy Ryan S that stunt rides and is missing a leg. Ryan was actually the first I believe to start stunting on the ice, and pioneered a great way to make a stunt oriented tire. Typically it's actully one tire inside of another one. We get bored here in Wisoconsin, what can I say. Make the best with what your given. lol