happythoughts

we need new stuff

We were always taught it was 'atishoo, atishoo' - as in sneezing - since that was supposedly one of the symptoms of plague.

Interesting how we learned different versions. :)

yours is the same as mine we just spell better :ph34r: a tissue was in reference to the plague for us too. even though we never had it here :)

'atishoo' as in a representation of the sneezing sound, not what you wipe your nose with. :P:)
In any case, according to that page the plague connection is probably a myth, and in fact sneezing isn't associated with (bubonic) plague. Interesting stuff though.

id say if it was "ashes ashes: it would be from where they had so many bodys piling up in the city they had no choice to burn them, and the "all fall down part" was people dropping out from the plague.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Yeah, 'ashes, ashes' seems more popular in the US. I'd never heard it before.

But the page I linked to says that the whole plague connection is probably something people came up with later, and that's not actually the origin of the rhyme.

the way i heard it, the ring around the posey was the red ring around the sores that were caused by the plague, and the ashes ashes part was because they put a cross on their head with their fingers dipped in ashes to ward off the plague, and the all fall down part was everyone dieing (sp?) because it didn't work.
almost all of our popular fairy tales are based on the scary stories that parents used to tell children to get them to listen to them. not so bad when you consider that until the mid 1800's or so, people used to consider children miniature adults.
http://kitswv.com

people used to consider children miniature adults.

Funny you should say that. Now we treat them like incompetents or precious royalty. Children are a lot more intelligent, capable and resilient than many people imagine. Kids used to grow up on farms and in home businesses handling responsibility at an early age. Not the case much anymore.
No wonder we have to "give" them self esteem. :D

Geez I remember hearing the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" as a kid late at night when it was time for bed.

I'm dead serious...

Obviously grew up in a different part of the country than I did.

You probably heard "Dixie.":P:D

Funny, when I was a kid, TV stations stilled signed off late at night. Ours played the Star Spangled Banner with U.S. fighter jets flying profiled against a beautiful sunset. For years, when docking on formations on sunset RW loads, I'd hear the Star Spangled Banner playing in my head. :D:D