shah269

Cooking while riding! Oh yeah!

I was helping one of my neighbors assemble some furniture this past Sunday and she was interested in my bike and how far I ride etc etc and the usual question about getting hot in the leather jacket.
I indicated as I always to better off hot than skinned and that the only time it gets too hot is when you are stuck at a stop light for far too long.
And she had a really dumb yet kind of smart question......she had seen some TV show where some guy was cooking using the engine of his car. He would wrap i guess potatoes and chicken in foil and stick it under the hood and go for a ride and when he got to where he wanted to be he would have a hot lunch. Now what a smart idea for the early spring or late fall rides! Ride 200 miles, pull over to a nice spot and enjoy a warm meal?
Has any one ever done this before?

Well maybe not a bike, but still not a bad idea!
http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

That was Alton Brown on one of his Feasting on Asphalt specials.

As a big Alton Brown fan, I thought the show was fun. He did the meal well, buying the device off the internet. It was on his BMW motorcycle.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm going to give it a shot this spring when the weather warms up a little bit. I don't think I'll have the room for a full lunch, but a few hotdogs would be nice. Now if I could only figure out how to make hot water for tea! Now that would be proper!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

You know....I know what's going to happen!
Everyone at the DZ will be running towards the turbines at the end of the day to bake potatoes and cook their food! :)

Dude, glad that you are getting in touch with your inner chef- There is a great recipe for muffler blackened baby potatoes in the Motor Week August issue, it says to set the carb mixture to rich for extra flavor, 20 minutes at 45 mph and don't forget to spray the pipe with WD40 before putting the potatoes into the exhaust or they will stick, then they are a real bitch to get out. Serve skewered on a screwdriver with a Pilsner.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

new line: "I love the taste of jet fuel in the evening. Smells like . . . Beer Light."

;)

You know...that's not a bad idea! The only problem is the next day. You know some dork is going to forget their food and so when the turbine starts up....there goes the hot dogs!

Won't work with my old cast iron motors...they run too cool...well, not cool, actually much hotter, but they hold the heat in, till you stop...Then the heat slowly works it's way out...don;t ever touch an old cast iron engine after it sat for a minute...:S

Yeah....but all engine blocks are cast. The sleves are not but the actual block is.

Use to be a thing called a Hot Dogger. It strapped on your exhaust with a couple clamps. I had one on the snowmobile. Cooked all kind of stuff with it.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Yeah but a bike has less room then a snowmobile.
Though......I'll have to think about this!