deltron80

when good helicopters go bad

In Reply To:
I wonder how much farther he could have descended under the water before the rotors became immersed and the aircraft went down. That was freaking ballsy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am betting that if the exhaust and intake were not impeded, that the rotors would keep it from sinking.

They should be more worried about the tail rotor hitting the water. A T/R in water turns into a propeller and pulls out of the 90-degree gear box. Usually pretty dramatic.

There is a phenomenon known as settling with power that can cause you to descend against your will. That, however, usually happens when hovering outside of ground effect (> 1 rotor dia). I bet what bit them was the altitude. The higher you are, the less lift you can generate. Use to watch guys try to land at PTA on the Big Island of Hawaii at 6100 feet. Usually a humbling experience the first time. And occasionally the second and third time, too.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

did you read post 16?
to my knowledge it is impossible to encounter settling with power in a hover. not trying to be argumentative, but 1 condition required to enter settling with power is 2 to 300 fpm rod, which of course is not present in a hover !

The cost of repairs for both aircraft totaled $505,751.20.

:o

I've had to replace parts on a $1.8Mil dish totaling about that much because the guys operating it, just didn't give a shit about how they're suppossed to operate it... they just tried to 'turn it on'... its not directv.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I can't fill in all the details because most of it is FOUO, but to sum it up.

The helos were doing something they weren't supposed to when the incident occurred.

Unplanned (or planned) photo-ops are risky, because many in the crew will lose SA. Add a lack of SA in the crew with the high DA found at Lake Tahoe, and you have the right recipe for something like this to happen.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I've had to replace parts on a $1.8Mil dish totaling about that much because the guys operating it, just didn't give a shit about how they're suppossed to operate it... they just tried to 'turn it on'... its not directv.

Those 500/400 SSPA's don't come cheap!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Those 500/400 SSPA's don't come cheap!!

These weren't SSPA's, I replaced 4, yes FOUR TWTA's (60-70k each) because they didn't take the few hours to degass them.

Not to mention a couple up/down converters, 3 each of 3k UPS that they burned up because they didn't check the generator output before they plugged them in, had to completely re-wire the CMA system so they could atleast turn the high voltage on without going outside... (damn sissies couldn't walk out and flip a switch)

Same guys that had their polarization off 90* and wondered why it wasn't working well...:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

These weren't SSPA's, I replaced 4, yes FOUR TWTA's (60-70k each) because they didn't take the few hours to degass them.

Figured that's what it was - been there, seen that with a couple of the SSPAs I mentioned, as well as a site-level (vs rack-level) UPS. Seen az/el motors burned up from people taking off limit switches because they couldn't hit the bird as sited - then realize they had the wrong bird. They weren't very happy when they realized they were going to have to crank the dish back by hand.

Same guys that had their polarization off 90* and wondered why it wasn't working well...:S

"What, you mean we can't just point it up there and it'll work?"

Aint it *fun*?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Aint it *fun*?

Its not rocket surgery or in flight missle repair... its just satellite communications!

My terminal leave starts 0001 on the 26th... thats 73 days of paid vacation coming up.

Working on some leads, but it won't be a bad life on any of them.;)