Gary73

New-car fuel mileage?

Looking at new-car info, it seems that very few cars have combined mileage ratings much over 30 MPG. Are the current EPA estimates at all accurate for typical drivers? Thanks.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Looking at new-car info, it seems that very few cars have combined mileage ratings much over 30 MPG. Are the current EPA estimates at all accurate for typical drivers? Thanks.

They changed the ratings scheme a couple years ago, and it effectively dropped the ratings for all vehicles. The newer ratings are more realistic compared to what used to be in place.

I won't say these new ratings are totally accurate, but they are a wholesale departure better than the old scheme (which was completely unrealistic), and can be a reasonable expectation of what you may get if your right shoe isn't made of cast-iron and slamming the accelerator.

While the CAFE regulations are going up, the requirements on cars is getting more difficult, all the extra safety gadgets add a lot of weight, which saps fuel economy. If Honda could introduce a CRX-HF again, they wouldn't need a hybrid. If Toyota could begin rebuilding a Paseo, they wouldn't need a Yaris. If Chevrolet could get away with a Chevette, they wouldn't be building a Volt, but safety standards reign supreme.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Get a VW Jetta TDI Diesel you'll get 45 mpg easy...
you'll get 38-40 mpg in town close to 50 on highway
they run smoothly have lots power and if you didn't know it was a diesel, you'd think it was gasoline powered car...

Mike - This is what I'm talking about: Car and Driver says to expect 30 city, 41 highway, 34 combined for this model. I understand the whole "Your mileage may vary." concept, but that's so large a variation as to make the number worthless for estimating my actual mileage.

Besides, with diesel costing so much more than gasoline these days, it hardly seems worth it to go that direction. But thanks for the info.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

they run smoothly have lots power and if you didn't know it was a diesel, you'd think it was gasoline powered car...

I rented a Pugeot diesel in France once, and was totally impressed with it. Drove like a gasoline car.

Mike - This is what I'm talking about: Car and Driver says to expect 30 city, 41 highway, 34 combined for this model. I understand the whole "Your mileage may vary." concept, but that's so large a variation as to make the number worthless for estimating my actual mileage.

Besides, with diesel costing so much more than gasoline these days, it hardly seems worth it to go that direction. But thanks for the info.

I've been subscribing to Car and Driver since the early 80s, and I know this - they have very, very, very heavy feet...hard to lift on the gas pedal.

Also bear in mind that they may be testing "tester" vehicles or outright "new" vehicles where the mileage isn't as good anyway.

It goes back to what I wrote before, the new standards are better, but they still aren't what I would call accurate. It's an impossible task anyway. Measuring the potential gas mileage for a vehicle whose buyer is in the plains versus one who lives in the mountains of Montana, you're easily looking at a 50%+ spread in the difference in efficiency. C&D tests most of their cars in Michigan and California. Their performance data is pretty good, but to relay that as what will translate to your experience is, well, "your mileage will vary." :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!