alan

Food Grade Silicone

There has been a lot of mention of the use of Food Grade Silicone in a few recent threads. It seems as if this product is news to a number of readers.
A few years after the CYPRES was introduced and along with it the silicone treated spectra reserve closing loop, I inquired about its use (and the use of spectra for main closing loops) to several rig manufacturers (Rigging Innovations and Sunpath) because I believed it (they)might be superior to WD 40 (gutted 550) for cutaway cable lubrication, which was pretty much the standard back then. It is now mentioned specifically in some owner's manuals.

Here is what it is good for.
1: Cutaway cable (yellow Lolon) lubrication, better
than WD 40 or any household oil.
2: Reserve cable and pin
3: Any metal parts on the sport rig, including the
inside of the cable housings
4: Mil Spec rubber bands and tube stows (line stows)
it will increase their life span.... a lot.
5: Closing loops, both resrve and main,
use the CYPRES gel for the CYPRES loop on a
CYPRES equipped rig, 725# spectra makes a very
durable main closing loop, especially when
treated with silicone spray
6: Pull-up cords, use a gutted 550 pull-up and treat
it with the spray to further increase the life span
of your cloing loop and reduce the chance of a
friction burn on the side against the pin (where
you can't see it during a routine pin check)

Where can you get it?
Almost any hardware store. ACE is popular but Fleetfarm, True Value, etc. have it. Look around, some cans will be labelled as "Food Grade", you may have to read the fine print.

What does it cost? About $5 for a spray can. Price will vary according to brand, store and location. Don't pay more than $10.

How long will a can last? That depends on how much you use it. A rigger may use a can in a week. A recreational skydiver, it may last their entire career.

Who should have a can? Any skydiver that inspects and maintains their own rig IAW most manufacturers intructions.
alan

I used to shoot competitively. In gun owner circles, ownership of a can of WD-40 is considered a sign of lack of knowledge. It's a little like walking around the pits of a NASCAR race with vice grips.

Anyway, I've never really gotten over my aversion to WD-40. It is not a good cleaner, because it leaves a waxy residue. It is not a good lubricant, because the lubrication doesn't last very long. The one thing it is really good at is getting dirt to stick to surfaces to which it has been applied.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I agree with what Brent has posted and it is not just in gun circles that WD 40 is considered a telltale of inexperience.

As far as containing petroleum distillates, yes, If I recall correctly WD 40 is kerosene with additives. In general it will not harm the canopy or container fabric as they are a petroleum product as well. But, fabrics and their treatments/coatings are evolving and that may not always be as true as it was. The main concern would be stains and the propensity to attack and retain abrasives like dust and dirt. Brent summed it up nicely.
alan

It is not a good cleaner, because it leaves a waxy residue. It is not a good lubricant, because the lubrication doesn't last very long. The one thing it is really good at is getting dirt to stick to surfaces to which it has been applied.

I agree completely. I could never understand how they stay in business with a product that serves no purpose.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In general it will not harm the canopy or container fabric as they are a petroleum product as well.

It was my understanding that petroluem distillates will attack nylon, presumably by trying to dissolve it. In this case their similarity helps one attack the other by trying to "rob" it of molecules, or at least "borrow" them in a bad way.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

It is not a good cleaner, because it leaves a waxy residue. It is not a good lubricant, because the lubrication doesn't last very long. The one thing it is really good at is getting dirt to stick to surfaces to which it has been applied.

I agree completely. I could never understand how they stay in business with a product that serves no purpose.:S

Sparky

My friend and I successfully use WD-40 to unstick parts that are only lightly rusted. In that capacity it's sort of like cheap liquid wrench in spray form.

I still agree that it is to lubricants what Vice Grips are to threaded fastener manipulation tools. But remember there are times on the side of the road where all you want is a pair of Vice Grips to get you home to your real tool set.

Now, I hope this is NOT the way anyone works on their skydiving gear. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

WD-40 isn't really a lubricant at all, it's a Water Displacement (hense WD). It kicks butt if you have a nut and bolt that have rusted together (yeah, I know...liquid wrench). But it smells better than liquid wrench and you can use it to clean your tools.

WD-40 plays hell with firearms. It gums up when it gets in contact with Cordite residue. Fine if you like cleaning after every few shots.

As for the Food Grade Silicone, I use the canned stuff from the Scuba shop. Works on all my gear, above and below the water, just not at the same time.

Eugene, you may very well be correct about robbing and borrowing molecules, what I remember about chemistry wouldn't fill a thimble! My comment was based on information from manufacturers and supported by Poynter's Parachute Manual. While no one advocates exposing a canopy or container to any liquids in general, Poynter says that:
"Hydrocarbons are generally not injurious to nylon."
alan

Food Grade silicone lubricant?

I would like to see a label actually saying something about that.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>>Food Grade silicone lubricant?

I would like to see a label actually saying something about that. <<

It means that it can be used on foodservice equipment, not necessarily that it is tasty.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

It would imply that it is not toxic. Maybe a bad assumption, but it seems obvious.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Food Grade silicone lubricant?

I would like to see a label actually saying something about that.

www.crcindustries.com
http://www.crcindustries.com/crcweb/

This is just one example, you may have to look a little to find this particular brand in a store, there are many and easy to find if you would look before posting.

CRC
Industrial
Food Grade
Silicone
Multi-Purpose Lubricant

Lubricates, Waterproofs & Protects
Colorless and Odorless
Meets FDA Reg.21 CFR 178.3570

It is in a green can with a black top and red CRC label.
alan

Sparky

Don't ja know, marketing, not product quality, is what makes something sell. :P

If it was not for vicegrips, ducttape and WD40, where would we be as a culture? I used to make a living fixing things, and those three tools were always in my toolbox as plan B, C and D.:P The problem is that ducttape does not stick to surfaces that WD40 has been applied to, so there has been a long world wide debate on which to use first.... I choose ducttape, because you can always cut it away and goto the WD40.:ph34r:

I used to make a living fixing things, and those three tools were always in my toolbox as plan B, C and D

You don't have any plans on becoming a rigger I hope.:P;)

Sparky

Is there a difference between being a rigger and playing one on TV??? If I did become a rigger, I would only stick with plan A... (Actually I am a "Rigger", just not a parachute rigger. I rig lighting trusses above stages and keep with plan A always because I have had everyone from President Bush and Clinton to Cypres Hill under my trusses. Killing a president I hear is a bad thing.B|)

Plan B - Z are only good when fixing toilets and old cars (and from what I have seen at some DZ's - the planes.):P

Sorry to take this thread off topic a bit... Now back to the previous scheduled programming.