FFAddict

gear

I agree..

I also think a wingloading of 1.3 is a bit too much for a beginner with 30 jumps..please discuss this with your instructors before you buy a canopy with that wingloading..

Here in holland you can't go over 1.1 if you don't have at least 100 jumps. If your exit weight is 210 then a pilot 188 would give you appr. a 1.1 wingloading.

My weight is 210, my exit weight is more like 240! so the wingloading 1.3:1 was correct.

I began jumping nav 230 then downsized to a fury 210 and have now done a number of jumps on a pilot 188 and i was very comfortable with it.
The instructors at my DZ seem happy for me to be jumping it and by the time my gear arrives (8-12 weeks) i will be on closer to 100 jumps anyway.

My weight is 210, my exit weight is more like 240! so the wingloading 1.3:1 was correct.

I began jumping nav 230 then downsized to a fury 210 and have now done a number of jumps on a pilot 188 and i was very comfortable with it.
The instructors at my DZ seem happy for me to be jumping it and by the time my gear arrives (8-12 weeks) i will be on closer to 100 jumps anyway.

Check this out.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/tools/calculator_wing_load.shtml

Using an exit weight of 240 on a 168 Pilot yields a wingloading of 1.4285.

Correction: mis-read your numbers.
Using an exit weight of 240 on a 188 Pilot yields a wingloading of 1.2765.

Do a search of the forums and you will find plenty of threads that suggest at your jump numbers that this is excessive pretty high. It is important to make sure that you can do everything you need to do with a bigger canopy before downsizing. Surviving a few jumps in ideal conditions does not mean that a 168 188 is the right canopy for you.

See this page for a number of articles you should read, including "Downsizing Checklist"

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Canopy_Control/index.shtml
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

hehe...you have the exact same wingloading as I have....Oh yeah...I waited 16 weeks for my icon...just that you realize you could be waiting a little bit longer then 8 weeks. With this wingload downsizing soon would be a bad idea so I think you'll get your money worth. Be a little bit careful though with this chute. It can bite you when you do something stupid....B|

Didn't like the green also on your rig....but it doesn't matter what I think..as long as you think it looks good :P

Edited to add: But I have no taste...my rig is all black with only a royal blue 'A' on the back and royal blue/dark grey logo's :)