jpresto613

Helmets for Big melons...

Ok, I've looked at most of the posts here that I could find about XXL helmets. One thing I did not see was what some people who have 25" or above size heads have done about getting something that fits?!?

Not that I have anything against frap hats (which do fit btw), I personally would feel more comfortable with something a little more solid and of a good quality.

Tried on the mindwarp, close but no cigar. I've talked with people at Bonehead, telling me that they have another helmet not listed called their "Protec", with them saying that it has a good chance of fitting because it's for bigger noggins. Anyone sportin one of these?

Any advice from my big-headed brothers and sisters would be greatly appreciated.

Presto...
"A life... does anyone know where I can download that from?"

My ex had a larger than normal size melon as well (don't know the exact measurements) but no skydiving helmet would fit him, and for 700+ jumps he jumped with an old hockey helmet.

He finally ordered a 2K Composites custom helmet, actually bigger than their usual helmets. He spent a lot of money on it, but was very happy that he finally had a skydiving helmet that fit.

Addie

Big Melom Brother here...

Start hitting the speciality sports stores...

I found a hard shell helmet that looks like
mindwarp...
"designed specially" for uphill, backwards, naked skiing...or some such thing.

Looks~works great and was about 50 bucks...

They had a few of em I could have worn OVER
a frap hat!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey,

I would like to say a BIG "Thanks" to all for your suggestions and advice. I finally talked with the good people at Bonehead, and ordered their version of the 'Protec', which they say should work.

But, it is nice to know that there are other options available too for a newbie like myself. I've heard it said that nothing in life worthwhile is ever easy. So, I guess all these troubles I face now will make my total experience that much more worthwhile....B|

bluest of skies...
Presto
"A life... does anyone know where I can download that from?"

Definitely go see Bonehead.
I have two of their helmets to fit my huge melon.
When I ordered my original Full-box camera helmet, Larry Sanchez said that I had the second-largest jaw he had ever seen!
Last year I bought a Bonehead Havok because it was the first full-face helmet that fit over my jaw.
And yes, Bonehead's military (Protec-style) helmet (G3?) is comfortable on my huge noggin, and yes I want one when I do tandems.

I have a Paratec FreeZR and it does indeed fit my big noggin (over glasses, even, and the visor's big enough to let me see my handles). Unfortunately, my visor's cracked, and getting a replacement has proven to be a real pain in the ass. I love the helmet -- just a warning....

Dude....

Call Ken Krueger with Paratec. He hooked me up within a week.

Did it crack at one of the tabs used to open it? Thats where mine was cracked at. We looked at how I was closing the visor.... Never could really come up with a good reason for the crack, but now I pay a lot more attention to how I close it (I now use 2 hands instead of pushing the visor down with 1).

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

yo man I got a huge melon... and a lot of freaking hair.. I have a Aviator that is XXL and it fits perfect.. my head is slightly larger than 25" and man it fits better than anything else outhere other than my RAWA..and I have tried them all.. You can also use the Ion's and velcity's from action air sports I think is their name in Davis Cali.. I had one and used multipe liners and eventually got it to fit perfectly... so man they are out there and they will fit.. just keep looking.... and trying them on which is your best bet.. that is the only way that I could find the ones I like and use..

Left a message for him at SQ1's suggestion (thanks Dominic!) a few weeks ago and haven't heard back -- I'll reattempt. Thanks for the pointer.

Mine cracked along the right-hand side, from the top of the visor down to maybe 3" of the bottom. The crack pretty much follows the contour of the lens. It's pretty impressive. The tabs are fine, although the left hand side of the rotation mechanism seems to be a bit sticky.