Hooknswoop

Service Bulletin - Icon Harness Container Cutaway Cable and Cable Housing

On that note, SB's aren't mandatory according to the FAR's, only AD's are. It is perfectly legal to pack and jump a rig with SB's not complied with.

Not with this particular SB, but on other SB's I wouldn't want my pack job on a rig that didn't meet all SB's for that rig.For instance, if somebody was jumping a Jav and had a horseshoe on the main closing loop grommet and went in, I bet your going to have one big headache explaining to the Faa or a judge that the SB isn't mandatory and you explained that to the dead jumper. As a rigger I'm looking to cover my a$$ AND make sure the jumper is jumping a rig as safe as it can be. That is true though, according to the FAR's SB's are not mandatory.

Not with this particular SB, but on other SB's I wouldn't want my pack job on a rig that didn't meet all SB's for that rig.For instance, if somebody was jumping a Jav and had a horseshoe on the main closing loop grommet and went in, I bet your going to have one big headache explaining to the Faa or a judge that the SB isn't mandatory and you explained that to the dead jumper. As a rigger I'm looking to cover my a$$ AND make sure the jumper is jumping a rig as safe as it can be. That is true though, according to the FAR's SB's are not mandatory.

Right, except there are a lot of aircraft flying with SB's not complied with. A rigger would have the same defense an A & P does. If the owner doesn't want the SB applied, the rigger/ A & P can complete the work that is required and sign off the rig/aircraft. If the aircraft crashes because the SB wasn't complied with, it isn't the A & P's fault any more than the rigger's fault with a rig.

Derek

***Right, except there are a lot of aircraft flying with SB's not complied with. A rigger would have the same defense an A & P does. If the owner doesn't want the SB applied, the rigger/ A & P can complete the work that is required and sign off the rig/aircraft If the aircraft crashes because the SB wasn't complied with, it isn't the A & P's fault any more than the rigger's fault with a rig.***

Thanks for the additional info Derek! Is there a special document that a rigger would need to fill out of the owner doesn't want to comply with the SB? ( I always just made sure the SB was met and never had this question come up) Also, has there been any incidents of a airplane crash that was due to a SB not being followed that you know of? Where could I do more research on this...any ideals?

Thanks for the additional info Derek! Is there a special document that a rigger would need to fill out of the owner doesn't want to comply with the SB? ( I always just made sure the SB was met and never had this question come up)

Me too until recently, so I don't know of any document. I don't know of any SB N/C/W resulting in a crash, but the NTSB's site would be the first place to look. The FAA is usually quick to take action with aircraft problems. Check into the T-34 Mentor situation, where an AD compliant aircraft still had the wind seperate in flight.

Derek

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the reason for the SB. Is it a case of a "newer" company trying to cover their a$$

Not the case. Seems that the South Africans wanted to ground all Icons if they didn't post the bulletin in South Africa. How that bulletin made it to the US is a different story. It was never ment to be posted here in the US. Look at the issuing authority on the bulletin.

Why they picked on Aerodyne I don't know. This could have happend with any rig on the market.

This isn't because of any Aerodyne specific problem, just some dump ass that didn't clean his housing and when he tried to cut it away on the ground it wouldn't becasue of all the sand and dirt in his rig.
:S
Dom

Not the case. How that bulletin made it to the US is a different story. It was never ment to be posted here in the US.
Why they picked on Aerodyne I don't know. This could have happend with any rig on the market.

This isn't because of any Aerodyne specific problem, just some dump ass that didn't clean his housing

Uhhh...... did you read this entire thread?

AND a Service Bulletin is a Service Bulletin. If a manufacture issues one, we have to address it here in the states even though the incident happened oversea's.(see also: Mirage SB from russia)

> Although I understand that regular gear checks are necessary, surely
>it should not be mandatory to clean your cables every - say - 30 days in
>order to be able to cutaway your main canopy?!?

It might be. It's part of the suggested maintenance of most rigs. It's pretty easy to do. I do it whenever I switch canopies, which I do with some regularity. I get a paper towel and some silicone spray from Square 1 (they keep a can handy) and wipe them down. It's really pretty easy.

>Also, why only the Icons?

It's not just Icons; it's any rig that uses a 'standard' cutaway system. Aerodyne just made it into a service bulletin.

>6 months from now there will be new jumpers on the scene, none of them
> know about this SB. Other jumpers will never hear about the SB. DZ's will
> have forgotten about the SB. Are these new jumpers going to clean their
> cables?

I sure hope so! It is part of the standard maintenance that every rig out there needs. Will you go in if you don't do it? Probably not. I once let a rig sit for over a year, and when I looked at the cables, they were as clean as the day I last cleaned them. On the other hand, a heavily used rig that went to a beach boogie might well need cleaning more often than 30 days.

AND a Service Bulletin is a Service Bulletin. If a manufacture issues one, we have to address it here in the states even though the incident happened oversea's.(see also: Mirage SB from russia)

Are you going to address it as it is written and use paraffin or will you use silicone? The way I read it, you can’t comply without using paraffin.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Are you going to address it as it is written and use paraffin or will you use silicone? The way I read it, you can’t comply without using paraffin.

Sparky

The factory emailed me and stated that silicone would comply with the SB, so I figure that covers things.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Sparky

The factory emailed me and stated that silicone would comply with the SB, so I figure that covers things.

Thats great for you, how about the rest of the rigging world? How about the riggers that don't read dropzone.com.

If they say the SB is mandatory, they need to change the wording or Paraffin is the only thing allowed.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thats great for you, how about the rest of the rigging world? How about the riggers that don't read dropzone.com.

The first thing I did when I heard there was a service bulletin out was to go to the Aerodyne website. I couldn't find the SB. I still can't find it there. Am I just being stupid or did Aerodyne actually only publish their SB on DZcom??

edit. Right, I found it now under "Technical Bulletins". But I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I last checked...

re-edit... The document itself still says "Safety Bulletin" and "Mandatory". And there are at least to versions of the pdf, one on DZcom and one on the Aerodyne website. Content seems to be identical though.