castle_bravo

Pilot Chute Nightmare

regarding brake away vs. just pull reserve:
chances of chute engaglement are bigger in the case of two out than brakeaway + reserve.

How did you make that conclusion?

i think that the chances that you get two out in this kind of cases are very big... which means that those two things have real chance of entaglement. And this video just proves this assumption. He almost got engtaglement of main and reserve. It was a pure luck it did not happend!

if he brakeaway and preferably also manualy release the risers prior the deployment of reserve and pull reserve, the main would probably jump out from the container as well but would not get enough force to be pulled out of the deployment bag and would be blown away all together. This decresses the chances of entaglement of main and reserve lines.

in the first case with both risers still attached and real chance of main deployment the number of points and time period where entaglement can occure is much higher than in the second case.

and in this particular case I would frist try to reach for the PC or bridle and pull it manualy before I execute the reserve procedure.

Congratulations on getting a canopy out and regaining control of the situation. Landing after that, I'd be all like "What the fuck just happened!"

Thanks. Hell, it was some surprise alright... Although the grand shocker came while watching the video frame by frame back at the DZ. Until then I thought that my main pc hesitated or wasn't cocked and took too long to pull the pin.

P.S.: oh, and after I landed(aka face-planted some potato field :D ) I was more like "F*CK THIS SH*T" :S

I just watched the vid. I'm sure I would devolope a case of tourettes if that shit happened to me. As far as a glove in the canopy, that could just be your packer fucking with you. I know a couple guys who packed their friends canopy with 2 bottles worth of baby powder inside the slider.:D

Muff #5048

regarding brake away vs. just pull reserve:
chances of chute engaglement are bigger in the case of two out than brakeaway + reserve.

How did you make that conclusion?

i think that the chances that you get two out in this kind of cases are very big... which means that those two things have real chance of entaglement. And this video just proves this assumption. He almost got engtaglement of main and reserve. It was a pure luck it did not happend!

if he brakeaway and preferably also manualy release the risers prior the deployment of reserve and pull reserve, the main would probably jump out from the container as well but would not get enough force to be pulled out of the deployment bag and would be blown away all together. This decresses the chances of entaglement of main and reserve lines.

in the first case with both risers still attached and real chance of main deployment the number of points and time period where entaglement can occure is much higher than in the second case.

and in this particular case I would frist try to reach for the PC or bridle and pull it manualy before I execute the reserve procedure.

I believe it is wrong to be so confident about your conclusions.

The chance for a 2 out situation or entanglement must be balanced against the chance for the departing main to snag the reserve. It is not a settled issue on which is best. I think it is very important to realize this incident strongly indicates toward not cutting away. As others have said in this thread, this very unusual incident would very likely have resulted in death had the main been released.

This is a decent thread dealing thoughtfully with the subject (of course my posts are the most thoughtful ;):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2411689;search_string=army;#2411689
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I believe it is wrong to be so confident about your conclusions.

The chance for a 2 out situation or entanglement must be balanced against the chance for the departing main to snag the reserve. It is not a settled issue on which is best. I think it is very important to realize this incident strongly indicates toward not cutting away. As others have said in this thread, this very unusual incident would very likely have resulted in death had the main been released.

This is a decent thread dealing thoughtfully with the subject (of course my posts are the most thoughtful ;):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2411689;search_string=army;#2411689

hmm. i think i get your point now. you think if the main is not cutted it remains more or less neatly "down" and the space above reserve is more clear than it would be in the case of breakaway. Correct?

Is the cause of this near fatality poor quality equipment? I noticed you have a Parachute de France atom container with a Briz 190? main. Who is the manufacturer of the Briz? and was it designed to fit in the container?

I can't answer this with 100% certainty... The rig was assembled and underwent semi-annual inspections by certified riggers. I've jumped it for ~ 100 jumps with no problems at all. The problem depicted in the clip does not suggest incompatible gear (aside from the snag-friendly pilot chute handle perhaps).

P.S.: Briz is a russian copy of the PD Spectre: zero-p, 7cell, slightly tapered, equipped with Spectra 725 lines.

I can't answer this with 100% certainty... The rig was assembled and underwent semi-annual inspections by certified riggers. I've jumped it for ~ 100 jumps with no problems at all. The problem depicted in the clip does not suggest incompatible gear (aside from the snag-friendly pilot chute handle perhaps).

P.S.: Briz is a russian copy of the PD Spectre: zero-p, 7cell, slightly tapered, equipped with Spectra 725 lines.

Im just getting into the sport completing AFF and it seems to me apart from mid air collisions and hook turns while landing both of which Im going to avoid the greatest danger is defective/incompatiple parachute equipment. Claire Barnes died in Oz due to a similar thing and it was attributed to a pilot chute that could't produce sufficient drag , poor gear choice, wrong size main in container, incompatible risers that didnt disconnect and a main reserve entanglement. She was on her 200th jump.
If Im staying in the sport Im going to buy a new rig with parts and spare parts from one manufacturer. My life is worth more than the 5000 for the rig(aerodyne).

We will never know thankfully if you had cutaway whether the disconnected main would have been jettisoned when the reserve opened due to less container tension etc clearing the reserve allowing it to deploy,
Glad your OK and thanks for posting.

If Im staying in the sport Im going to buy a new rig with parts and spare parts from one manufacturer. My life is worth more than the 5000 for the rig(aerodyne).

we'll see it this is true.

And you will be hard pressed to get a brand new container, main, reserve and AAD +spare parts for 5,000.

By the way, even a brand new pilot chute will not function properly if packe incorrectly. Even Aerodyne....
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.