Meso

Your Photos of the Past Year

Start with a good book on how to run your camera. After that, go shoot thousands of pictures just playing around. Look at photography books and magazines to see how shots are composed. Try to emulate the neat things you see.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Patrick got me a new camera last month, and I really want to start learning about photography, but I have no idea where to even start. You don't know what you don't know, right?

I need to upload a few, but I'm too lazy to resize them right now :$.

Start here namesake:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Patrick got me a new camera last month, and I really want to start learning about photography, but I have no idea where to even start. You don't know what you don't know, right?

Throw out any "rules" you may be following (common beginner habit- centering the subject in every shot), then take shots that look good to your eye.

THEN, start learning about formal theory- rule of thirds, color theory, contrast.

Learn about lighting.

Above all, KNOW YOUR CAMERA!
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

Start with a good book on how to run your camera. After that, go shoot thousands of pictures just playing around. Look at photography books and magazines to see how shots are composed. Try to emulate the neat things you see.

Any recommendations? I've seen a number of books on photography, just having a little trouble choosing one. I have been reading the articles on the National Geographic website, and one of our favorite restaurants has a digital photography book that I peruse when we visit.

Throw out any "rules" you may be following (common beginner habit- centering the subject in every shot), then take shots that look good to your eye.

THEN, start learning about formal theory- rule of thirds, color theory, contrast.

Learn about lighting.

Above all, KNOW YOUR CAMERA!

Here my favorites from this weekend.

Well you've definitely got the idea down, the composition on that first image is rad. I'm a big fan of symmetry in shots and the use of shapes.

I'd definitely recommend getting a DSLR camera to anyone though. You can pick them up for as little as $200-$250 second hand these days. I'm still shooting on an entry level DSLR (Canon 350D) but the clarity one can achieve with a DSLR and the ability to utilize the settings to achieve a desired effect can't be matched with point and shoots.

Learning about light - probably most important, and most difficult. Photography - it has "light" as the first part of the name, so you know it's important.

After looking at the pictures here I feel like such a hack with my DSLR, but here is what I have to show for myself.

www.500px.com/thomas_n_thomas

I dream of the day when I start shooting skydiving.

Learning about light - probably most important, and most difficult. Photography - it has "light" as the first part of the name, so you know it's important.

After looking at the pictures here I feel like such a hack with my DSLR, but here is what I have to show for myself.

www.500px.com/thomas_n_thomas

I dream of the day when I start shooting skydiving.

A hack? Seriously? I think your pictures are great! :)

Thanks for the tip :)
Your pictures are great. How do you make the sky look so awesome?

They look like HDR photos... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging

Of course Vince... you are free to correct me if I'm wrong... :)http://www.scottgunstills.com/Skydiving-2010)

In Ohio and Virginia Primarily...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The first (Millennium) is in fact HDR, made from three shots.

The house on the sand (Blow) is actually a combination of overlay blending and high-pass filters in Photoshop, as well as a few other adjustments that kind of make up my own secret recipe. ;)

Here's another photo that combines both methods. I laughed out loud when my friend told me it looked like a scene from the 90s computer game Myst. :ph34r:

I'm digging the skydiving photos. The shots from this series are my favorite:
http://www.scottgunstills.com/Skydiving-2010/Photos/10-11-Apr-2010/11822846_bMpp4#835690041_qEm6n

Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

The first (Millennium) is in fact HDR, made from three shots.

The house on the sand (Blow) is actually a combination of overlay blending and high-pass filters in Photoshop, as well as a few other adjustments that kind of make up my own secret recipe. ;)

I'm digging the skydiving photos. The shots from this series are my favorite:
http://www.scottgunstills.com/Skydiving-2010/Photos/10-11-Apr-2010/11822846_bMpp4#835690041_qEm6n

Yeah... that plane was leaking a lot of fuel before we exited (early and with a different strategy then initially planned)... of course I was the first out and took pictures of the string of people exiting the plane behind me...

and the canopy shots are of my wife flying over the south end of the airport...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...