dkpbxman

D-Day

Ike appears to have made a massive blunder on spreading the front too thing and too wide (so the Germans managed to break through and sweep north)

The "decisive thrust" strategy had long since been discarded. Another word for that is "salient", which is very likely to be isolated and overrun. I believe the Broad Front was the way to go.

Wasn't it the slow movement of Monty that allowed all the Falaise pocket soldiers to escape? Besides, it was the broad front approach which almost enveloped this pocket to begin with. ;)

I'm British - how could I ever forget that? ... we needed the Johnny-come-lately-sit-on-the-fence yanks too - not that they EVER let us forget it either.

You see this is part of the problem. You are thinking two dimensional while many Americans have been brought up to think only one dimensional when it comes to this war. Ignoring the Russians for a moment, the Americans (who's industry was not destroyed by daily bombing) was a huge contributor to the victory as was the British contribution. But there were many nationals from many other nations who also fought and died to defeat the Nazis. As I said it was a team effort which was also helped along the way by Hitler being a complete mad man and not listening to his Generals who knew much more about how to wage war than the delusional Austrian corporal.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Sure, but the difference was that Monty had proven himself in North Africa.

Ike appears to have made a massive blunder on spreading the front too thing and too wide (so the Germans managed to break through and sweep north)

And Operation Market Garden was ............................................?????

And Operation Market Garden was ............................................?????

Planned by vegetables.

Actually, I think that it was a good idea poorly executed and SHOCKINGLY supported - too little armour ... arriving too late.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Actually, I think that it was a good idea poorly executed and SHOCKINGLY supported - too little armour ... arriving too late.

It was a good idea, it was just a bridge too far. :o

(It did not help that the British Airborne missed the DZ by 8 miles)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It was a good idea, it was just a bridge too far. :o

(It did not help that the British Airborne missed the DZ by 8 miles)

Damned Green Light jumpers:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Planned by vegetables.

I think Bernies name was all over that one....

Just sayin:)

Yes, a huge thanks to all the Vets, past and present.

You know, I can't grab my M1 Garand out of the gun safe without thinking about all those brave men, some of them still teenagers, carrying rifles like that up Omaha Beach on June 6th, 1944. Where do we find such brave men among us?

Consider that some were brave enough to enlist when things were going badly for us.

Also remember that some young men were handicapped in one way or another and were so ashamed of being rejected they went home and killed themselves.

I know of the story of two brothers from North Dakota that were found to have bad hearts and went into the barn and hung themselves, my honorary grandma Ruby was their neighbor.

That was sad...

I'm watching a 3 part documentary (with Sean Bean narrating).. D-Day, The battle to Berlin

Wow - it's a wonder we won the war at all after the 6-june..

Ike seemed way too inexperienced for the job and Patton was a complete arrogant, publicity hunter:S

Was Patton even involved on D-Day? I thought he was running a ghost army to get Hitler to deploy his main forces near Calais.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.