kkeenan

Final Flight of Atlantis

I just returned from visiting Atlantis after she was rolled off the runway. It's a sad day for the U. S. Space Program. A lot of politicians are spouting rhetoric about the hopeful future, but the future of manned spaceflight is so mired down in political red tape, it will be many years before a U. S. government manned spacecraft flies. Luckily, private industry is going for it and will probably do a better job.

Kevin Keenan
Kennedy Space Ctr. FL

Luckily, private industry is going for it and will probably do a better job.

Kevin Keenan
Kennedy Space Ctr. FL

Some of the political spin claimed that that was part of the intent of our latest non-move into manned space flight. But are there any companies really working towards the goal of putting 3-4 people into low Earth orbit on man rated rockets? Or will we be riding Soyuz for the next decade or two. [:/]

>But are there any companies really working towards the goal of putting
>3-4 people into low Earth orbit on man rated rockets?

SpaceX is the closest. They have orbited and recovered a payload and are planning:

Falcon 1 - two stage small launcher (a few hundred KG) - small satellite launches. Is a commercial launcher.

Falcon 9 - Larger launcher, can be man-rated. Two orbital flight so far.

Dragon capsule - able to launch up to 7 people into low Earth orbit. One flight so far of a mockup.

Next step is a flyby of the ISS followed by a docking.

Dragon capsule - able to launch up to 7 people into low Earth orbit. One flight so far of a mockup.

Next step is a flyby of the ISS followed by a docking.

The orbital flight of the first Dragon capsule returned a large cheese wheel safely after two orbits. Not exactly a man-rating qualification, but proved the point. SpaceX is on the verge of approval by NASA to combine the next two steps into one, with an ISS docking on the next flight.

http://www.spacex.com/dragon.php

Is it just me, or do the shuttles look just as modern today as they did in the 1970's?

Yeah. It's style didn't age. Guess functionality beats campy futuristic looks all the time. Look at the MD-11, 747. . .ect.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm not supposed to talk about it but you are pretty much on. I think there are 5 companies building a crew capsule now.

Jeez, I hope I'm not divulging Secret info, but if they come after me, I'll tell them that you leaked it.

You must mean:

Boeing / CST-100
Sierra Nevada / Dream Chaser
Orbital Sciences / Prometheus
Excalibur / Almaz
Blue Origin /Unnamed
SpaceX / Dragon

Several of these have received NASA funds under the Commercial Crew Development Program (CCDev-2) to develop crewed spacecraft. (All public knowledge, by the way. ;))

The whole space program, manned and unmanned, has been one of America's and humanity's finest hours. I hope this is just the end of this chapter in what will continue to be an amazing story.
Thanks for the photo.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Don't forget the Roton!

The last I heard, Roton was mounted as a static display at Mojave airport. It was probably just ahead of its time.