warpedskydiver

Nice Plane for Jumping

I jumped an AN-26 in Poland back in 1989. It sure climbed fast. They needed to slow it down more for jump run.

Yeah, I jumped one in Dubai a few times. It was excellent - operated by a uniformed crew, with controls and instruments that put me in mind of a WWII bomber.

There's something about those big Russian planes - they are beasts. Just don't look at the tyres :P.

I did a few hundred jumps from AN-26s in the early 1990s. Cool jump ship. For a twin turboprop there is an amazing amount of space inside. We generally went with 70 -80 skydivers, though in Poland the authorities limited us to 40. Even with 80 jumpers, it looked like you could comfortably fit 50 more.
De-pressurizing was great. Instant white-out when the ramp was cracked. Then the condensation would get sucked out the back like a mini tornado.
The ramp dropped, and retracted forward under the fuselage, which meant you used the level cabin floor for exits.
Jump run speeds were pretty fast, but it didn't take many exits to get to love the hard air. Many launched pieces would explode almost instantly, but if they flew well they looked cool. A typical eight way piece would get stood up vertically, then skid sideways away from line-of-flight at an amazing speed.
Also fun to be last out, running from the cockpit bulkhead. Quite a distance.

Love that machine.