freethefly

The Dark Tower movie is a no go

Big fan of Stephen King. Major fan of his epic Dark Tower series based on the Robert Browning poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came." Searched the forums, and indeed, I am not alone here.
In a way I was hoping that the movie would be made, as well as the mini-series. The "constant reader" in me hoped for the opposite. As it stands, the latter wins out, for now.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/dark_tower_film_and_tv/news_tracker/

In hoping that the movie would be made, I had hope, slim I know, that Clint Eastwood would play the part of Roland Deschain. King once commented that Eastwood was part of the inspiration in developing the Gunslinger. Clint instantly came to mind when I read the first book back in 1982.

I am looking forward to reading "The Wind Through the Keyhole", to be released next year. It fills in the time between "Wizard and Glass" and "Wolves of the Calla."

Is anyone else disappointed that the movie and the mini-series is a no go at this time?
Myself, I am on the fence as movies and/or mini-series tend to not give justice to a book.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Nah. With few exceptions, I have enjoyed his books much more than the movies. Id rather keep that storyline in my imagination.B|

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I am also glad that these books are not being bastardized into a TV miniseries or Movie.

I really loved the first 4. (Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, Wastelands, Wizard and Glass.) Wizard and Glass was my favorite of all of them. I was increasingly disappointed in the last books. Don't know if he felt rushed to get them out and finish the series...?

Blane

...is a pain, and that is the truth. Man, I haven't read any of the books since the day or two after the last book was published, and that still rolled right off my fingers.;)

Nah, glad the idea got axed, for the same reasons listed above.

And, unfortunately, Clint is way too old to pull it off now.

I agree: stick to the books, especially the first couple.

Elvisio "Zoltan et the eyes." Rodriguez

They should get that guy that did that great screen adaptation of that other Stephen King novel to direct.... Oh....

that's funny!

i dont know, since his accident, the books have somehow "lost" what made stephen king.. :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i dont know, since his accident, the books have somehow "lost" what made stephen king.. :|

He used to write terse, tight stories that had a great pace, like Carrie and Pet Semetary. As he became more famous and sank deeper into alcoholism, his stories became bloated and full of characters I didn't care about, such as Tommyknockers, which I quit after 30 pages or so. Since then I haven't read any of his works.

It's not entirely his fault. With all the fascinating true stories and subjects in the world, I rarely read fiction anymore. :)

his stories became bloated and full of characters I didn't care about,

I have to agree. There are a few novels that seem to be re-hash or over-done.
I can't say the same for the Dark Tower. I like how he brought characters from other stories, such as Father Callahan from Salem's Lot or Randall Flagg form The Stand into the fold. Even more, the connection to a large body of his work is intertwined in the Dark Tower series. One would have had read every King novel to make the connections, such as Lisey's (Lisey's Story) license plate being 5761RD (adds up to 19 and RD being Roland's initials). The Dark Tower is, without question, masterpiece storytelling.
Being a series that is now going on 30 years with The Wind Through the Keyhole to be released next year, it seems to be the never ending story. I, for one, hope that the story continues for years to come.
Neil Young

The Dark Tower is, without question, masterpiece storytelling.

I'm going to have to question that a bit. In the beginning, yes. Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, Wastelands. I felt it started going downhill in book four. And, can you really be happy about the ending to the series? (I do recognize that he sort of wrote himself into a corner -- when you characterize the Dark Tower as the nexus of all existence, and leave vague what happens when Roland gets there, there's an almost inevitable letdown when he DOES get there.)

I think the problem with Stephen King these days can be summed up by reading From a Buick 8. There is no more rhyme or reason to his stories -- things just happen. Characters just know things, because they feel true. Even his short stories feel that way.

(I do recognize that he sort of wrote himself into a corner -- when you characterize the Dark Tower as the nexus of all existence, and leave vague what happens when Roland gets there, there's an almost inevitable letdown when he DOES get there.)

Agreed

And, can you really be happy about the ending to the series?

I don't feel that it really is the end of the series as book eight is due for release next year. It is somewhat odd that it fills in the time lost between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla, but it will answer a lot of questions.
At the end of book seven Roland finds himself back in the Mohaine desert, only now he has the Horn of Eld, there is more to the story as Roland does not realize that he has reached the top room of the tower many times before. What occurred in those past life's? How will this be different now that he is back on the trail of the Man in Black? Roland's true quest is his own humanity and he has yet to conquer that. Now that he has the Horn of Eld, he is closer than before. He has yet to come to grips with the deaths of Susan Delgado, Cuthbert, and Alain. How will he resolve his past? I think more is to come in the series that will eventually tie the whole thing together to answer every question. I certainly hope so!
Neil Young

Is anyone else disappointed that the movie and the mini-series is a no go at this time?

Nope. After Molly Ringwald was cast as Frannie, I gave up hope that Hollywood had a clue.

Christine was the best screen adaptation by far.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Nope. After Molly Ringwald was cast as Frannie, I gave up hope that Hollywood had a clue.

Don

I have to agree that of all of the adaptions, Christine was the best.
My opinion of The Stand is that the mini series was awful. The book was great and introduced Randall Flagg for the first time. Flagg makes his way through a number of King novels using a number of aliases. In the Dark Tower, Flagg takes on a number of identities (Walter, Marten, Broadcloak, Fannin, Farson, the Man in Black.) Somehow I think that The Stand will play a greater part in a later book of the Dark Tower series. Much in the way that Salem's Lot played into Wolves of the Calla. We haven't seen the end of Flagg, I hope. No other villain embodies evil in the way that King portrays the many faces of Flagg. You got to love Flagg.
I really hope that King keeps the story alive for as long as possible.
Neil Young

Don

i liked "maximum overdrive" a lot; which is also directed by him..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Goddamnit. Now I can't get that stupid "did-a-chick, dod-a-chock, dum-a-chum" chant out of my head!

Take a break, and have a nice tooterfish sandwich. ;)

How about some muffin-balls, before bedtime?
Neil Young