kallend

Do skydivers make good CEOs?

do you think that this quote is true ?

“Piloting small aircraft as a hobby is more risky than driving a motorcycle, flying a helicopter, or even crop-dusting,” Cain says.

can you explain how this is good ?

For example, CEO pilot-led firms are more likely to engage in mergers and acquisitions, have more debt in their capital structure

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

do you think that this quote is true ?

“Piloting small aircraft as a hobby is more risky than driving a motorcycle, flying a helicopter, or even crop-dusting,” Cain says.

can you explain how this is good ?

For example, CEO pilot-led firms are more likely to engage in mergers and acquisitions, have more debt in their capital structure

Debt, when managed properly, allows you to fund growth. Yes, it increases risk, but it can also provide a bigger payback. That's the theory anyway.
Remster

and if it doesn't turn out as planned, you get a massive crap as we have now...

In my country, for normal people, debt = debt....
If you have assets, you get credit. If you have nothing, well suck it up. Pay your debt, make money, and THEN we will lend you more...

and if it doesn't turn out as planned, you get a massive crap as we have now...

In my country, for normal people, debt = debt....
If you have assets, you get credit. If you have nothing, well suck it up. Pay your debt, make money, and THEN we will lend you more...

Nic, I really, really, really think that Swiss companies operate on a very similar basis too. Debt funds growth.
Remster

>and if it doesn't turn out as planned, you get a massive crap as we have now...

Of course. But if you avoid it for that reason, often you grow very slowly and miss your market opportunity. The wisest CEO's use debt only as much as they need to to hit their market window.

still it is not a correct way of thinking. Overgrowth can not be eternal. The economic world NEEDS to slow down to a more human pace...

what I don't understand is why are COMPANIES allowed to deal like that with debt ? Around here, INDIVIDUALS wouldn't last long living like that...

still it is not a correct way of thinking. Overgrowth can not be eternal. The economic world NEEDS to slow down to a more human pace...

what I don't understand is why are COMPANIES allowed to deal like that with debt ? Around here, INDIVIDUALS wouldn't last long living like that...

Really?

You don't have a mortgage that allows you to live in a house that's nicer than if you have to have paid cash for it, and is still within your means? (and maybe you dont. I know Switzerland has some of the lowest home ownership levels in the world, which is not a good or bad thing per say, but considering that most people who buy homes get a mortgage, I wouldn't say individuals wouldn't last long)
Remster

Really?

You don't have a mortgage that allows you to live in a house that's nicer than if you have to have paid cash for it, and is still within your means? (and maybe you dont. I know Switzerland has some of the lowest home ownership levels in the world, which is not a good or bad thing per say, but considering that most people who buy homes get a mortgage, I wouldn't say individuals wouldn't last long)

Or a car. I know very few people who could buy a car for cash.

But (of course) there's a huge diference between responsible debt and irresponsible.

Having a house house/car that's within your means to maintain debt service is a world apart from using credit cards to pay for a new flat-screen or a big vacation.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

yes we have mortgages, and leases on cars... But we generally have to provide the first 10-20% cash...

and I paid all my cars cash... 4 cars in 20 years. Total approx 12'000 USD (not each, for the total of the 4 cars) :)
If you can't afford (or afford to continue paying) something, don't get !

yes we have mortgages, and leases on cars... But we generally have to provide the first 10-20% cash...

and I paid all my cars cash... 4 cars in 20 years. Total approx 12'000 USD (not each, for the total of the 4 cars) :)
If you can't afford (or afford to continue paying) something, don't get !

How irresponsible of you! Buying something when you only have 10% of its value on hand! Clearly you couldnt afford it! ;)
Remster

So a skydiver led company would have :D rules?

I tend to side with Piisfish's analysis. I think that we tend to focus to much on quick returns.

I personally think that lots of smaller family business's that build on what they have is better for long term stability. They may not grow as quickly but they probably last longer.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.