shropshire

Have DARPA last another one?

Downrange assets did not reacquire tracking or telemetry. #HTV2 has an autonomous flight termination capability.

Whoops ..... another couple of zeros on the end of the deficit:S

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-08/darpas-htv-2-launches-status-mission-remains-unclear

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

What they were attempting to do is incredibly difficult. It doesn't surprise me in the least it didn't go perfectly. It's entirely possible the vehicle worked flawlessly, but the tracking assets simply failed in their efforts to maintain contact with it.

Very simple things you and I take for granted, like GPS, are pretty sketchy at these speeds. The first flight of this type of craft was the first time they had successfully gotten confirmation they could get an accurate GPS location while traveling at 3.6 miles per second. Think about that for a few seconds. Oh, wait, while you did, the craft is now 10 miles away from where it last said it was!

Falcon HTV-1 also failed, but it sent back enough data to prove a few things. Perhaps when all is said and done the same can be said for this.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oh I have no doubt that it's 'tricky' BUT why waste the money? Especially when you are so far in debt.

Yeah, those fuckin' Wright Bros. and their stupid flying machine. What good will that ever be? What a senseless waste of money.
quade -

Apples and oranges mate - this is a weapons system - can 'we' afford yet another especially now?

Whoa, whoa, whoa . . . some of the earliest Wright Flyers were sold to the US Army for reconnaissance purposes.

Falcon is currently just pure science. A weapons application might come out of it, but so may space tourism applications or better ways to re-enter the atmosphere in general. It's really difficult to know where any ultra-cutting edge technology may lead.
quade -

O.K - I'll give you that.

So in a Bonfie way ..... It's is cool technology (people who just say 'tech' should be laughed at in public).

and in an SC way - 'we' can't afford it at this time.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome