jrmrangers

what do you need to do after aff for a license?

Get an A Card here: http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Form_ALicenseProfandApp_2009_04.pdf and start checking stuff off!!

Actually, get a coach to start signing stuff off... you're done when the last thing is signed off on and a qualified instructor stamps it. You should get an official number in a few weeks... least that's what I'm told. :P

Edited to add: there's also some jumping and stuff in there somewhere too.

Get an A Card here: http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Form_ALicenseProfandApp_2009_04.pdf and start checking stuff off!!

Actually, get a coach to start signing stuff off... you're done when the last thing is signed off on and a qualified instructor stamps it. You should get an official number in a few weeks... least that's what I'm told. :P

It's not valid until the beer dues are paid.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Actually, get a coach an instructor to start signing stuff off... you're done when the last thing is signed off on and a qualified instructor stamps it. You should get an official number in a few weeks... least that's what I'm told. :P

Coaches can only sign a few places on the 4 page card... that is all.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Actually, get a coach an instructor to start signing stuff off... you're done when the last thing is signed off on and a qualified instructor stamps it. You should get an official number in a few weeks... least that's what I'm told. :P

An instructor should definitely be consulted throughout the progression and sign off most things. I just wanted to give a bit of a guideline, a starting point if you will.

Some students, myself included, didn't start on the A card immediately and I WISH I had read about it or someone had told me about it sooner.

I used the 4 page card and gave thought to the possibility that the OP could end up using it too.

An instructor should definitely be consulted throughout the progression and sign off most things. I just wanted to give a bit of a guideline, a starting point if you will.

Some students, myself included, didn't start on the A card immediately and I WISH I had read about it or someone had told me about it sooner.

I used the 4 page card and gave thought to the possibility that the OP could end up using it too.

Im surprised, I had my a-card in hand around aff-1 or 2

I'd like to ammend my previous statement: Coaches can only sign a few places on the 4 page card, unless they're a ticketed rigger or pilot. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Right, and I totally should have put that there is a 2 page card and a 4 pager.

My understanding is that one card is for DZ's that have a student training program in place but I don't know the exact details of which is which and whatnot.

Thanks for being cool and not just accusing me of knowingly putting bad info out. I really just wanted to put a link to USPA for the original poster to check out and browse around on.

And yeah, I had probably done 5 or 6 jumps before I started taking more interest and found the A card. One guy just came off student status with around 22 jumps and has yet to check anything off... It's a static line progression too so fairly different in some ways.

My understanding is that one card is for DZ's that have a student training program in place but I don't know the exact details of which is which and whatnot.

Thanks for being cool and not just accusing me of knowingly putting bad info out. I really just wanted to put a link to USPA for the original poster to check out and browse around on.

And yeah, I had probably done 5 or 6 jumps before I started taking more interest and found the A card. One guy just came off student status with around 22 jumps and has yet to check anything off... It's a static line progression too so fairly different in some ways.

They probably don't expect many of those signal geeks down at Ft Gordon to keep coming back.

WoW is cheaper than skydiving.:D

They probably don't expect many of those signal geeks down at Ft Gordon to keep coming back.

Probably not! :ph34r: They knew I was an MP and former combat arms going into it though. I try not to stereotype too much though cuz there's a couple of Air Force guys who are pretty hard core jumpers too. And I knew you weren't being harsh either.

Probably not! :ph34r: They knew I was an MP and former combat arms going into it though. I try not to stereotype too much though cuz there's a couple of Air Force guys who are pretty hard core jumpers too. And I knew you weren't being harsh either.

They knew you were an MP and they continued to let you jump there?

Sketchy...:D

They knew you were an MP and they continued to let you jump there?

Sketchy...:D

Ha ha!! Luckily there's Marines, AF and two other Soldiers who all get along great with each other and the civilians and free spirits if you will.

You know? We all speak skydiver

My DZ doesn't issue the proficieny card until the student is finished with AFF. Until then, the student is on a tightly programmed path and the card is unnecessary. Not only unnecessary, it would likely be a distraction from the AFF tasks. Upon completion of AFF the student gets a briefing on how to use the card. 

The most recent direction from USPA regarding who can sign A-license cards:

The four-page A-License Progression Cards may be signed by a current USPA Coach (limited to just a few items), Instructor, Examiner, S&TA or board member.
The two-page A-License Proficiency Cards may be signed by a current USPA Instructor or higher.

USPA Professional 09 Sep 2010

Note that neither rigger nor pilot is mentioned.  Make your life easy, get an instructor to mark off ALL the items, that will prevent your license app from bouncing when submitted to USPA. ;)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

It might make it easier to just have an instructor sign off on everything, but there are places on the 4 page card for Pilots and Riggers to sign off.

;)

It might make it easier to just have an instructor sign off on everything, but there are places on the 4 page card for Pilots and Riggers to sign off.

;)

Agreed... but given the messages from USPA... Why risk delaying processing of the license application by sending it with pilot or rigger initials?

There is lots of contradiction and strangeness between the two cards and the messages coming from USPA. For example why are items marked for riggers or pilots on the 4 page card, but not on the 2 page card?

Clearly there is a disconnect between what the forms say and what HQ is publishing. I have this fantasy that maybe this will be fixed with the 2011-12 SIM and IRM.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Clearly there is a disconnect between what the forms say and what HQ is publishing.

Thats what we call a head space and timing error.

I have this fantasy that maybe this will be fixed with the 2011-12 SIM and IRM.

:D:D:D We will see.

My DZ issues the pro-card stapled to one double-sided logbook page for all AFF students.

The great thing for me, as an instructor, is that if the student blows part of the jump, we still sign off the parts that they did well. Then, we can look at the next jump and see if we can incorporate tasks that were "missed" into the next dive flow along with tasks from the next block -- as long as it's not a safety issue.

I have seen many students who struggle for a whole dive and only get two (out of 4 planned) 90 degree turns. So, for the next dive flow, we plan 2 90s, and then 2 180s, and then 2 360s. Sometimes they get through the whole thing, sometimes they might be short 1 or 2 360s. So then that becomes the first task of the next dive. "Gimme 2 easy 360s, and then move on to your barrel rolls".

From the student's point of view, some students take "failure" very hard. In cases like that, the pro-card lets you focus on the positive. "You didn't fail the jump, look what we can check off. Now let's talk about what we are gonna do on the next jump."

How does your AFF program deal with a D-1 student who only gets 2 90s? Do they repeat the jump?

I got my yellow 2 sided after the second jump , and it helped me plan outside of just aff stuff, there are things on the card that need checked off. by jump 4 had my packing class done,packed and jumped my own. began working on some canopy skills .. it didnt distract me at all just made me more eager to learn, study and work harder on things like accuracy on landing, riser work etc .. the only thing that held me back are the exits .. I swim like a fish til I get off the hill .. ( i think I grew gills)