guineapiggie101

car questions

Is it bad to take a relatively brand new car on a long road trip (like from CA to AZ)? I got a new car end of Sept and already have 1400 miles on it (just from driving back and forth to DZ and to LA). Thinking of going to Nationals next weekend out in AZ.

Also, will there be issues (if I get pulled over, etc), that I don't have my plates or registration yet. I was told by the dealer rep that it could take up to 3 months to get those in the mail[:/] .

I know these questions sound stupid, but it's been over 12 years since I've bought a car.

Do you have a temporary tag (buyer's tag)?

Do you have insurance on the car?

BAM, done.

Check the oil, check the air and check the coolant. Modern cars have the motors run in at the factory before they're installed. I'd take it easy on the speeding (for safety and for the motor), but go and go far, you should be fine.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Double check your manual for a break in mileage. Typically a manufacturer will recommend varying your RPMs for certain mileage period, to help the rings seat properly and such. I'd also change the oil if you haven' done so yet. I've seen claims you don't have to do a break in change anymore but I don't buy it. It's a good piece of mind for a cheap price in relative. You never know what crap might floating around from the wear in of everything. You have a lot of surfaces that had to get to know each other and wear in slightly that shed tiny metal particles in the process.

Mechanically, this is the best time to take the car on a road trip. It's beyond the "break in period". Anything that was wrong,that QC didn't find, should have already broken.

You're beyond the "Don't drive the car at a constant speed/rpm" stage, so using the cruise control shouldn't be a problem (unless that is the one problem that got beyond QC, that hasn't been used and thus is broken thing :P )

Before you go, make sure you have some sort of roadside assistance (you just never know). A cell phone (duh!). Bring a can of WASP SPRAY (which you keep within reach at all times).

Follow Aggie Dave's advice on the paperwork (he's a cop IIRC), and the road trip should be a piece of cake.

I have 13 trips across the USA. 12 of those were either in the same car or driving my own car as part of a duo of cars. The thirteenth time was all by my "lonesome". It was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I did it just because I hadn't done it all by myself, and I wanted to put that "notch on the fan belt". ;)

Enjoy it :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Bring a can of WASP SPRAY (which you keep within reach at all times).

If you drive a Lexus do you have to spray yourself?

:D:P

Wouldn't know, never driven oneB|

I knew that the wasp spray was going to get a reaction. I wish it came in a purse size can.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

3 months to get plates and registration? Did you buy or lease?

New cars= hop in and drive it. With modern materials and manufacturing techniques the car needs no break in period. Initial oil change at 1000-2000 miles won't hurt a thing. This will remove any contaminants that were in the engine when it was assembled.
The main thing to watch on a new car is fluid levels and tire pressure. Check these at every fillup, especially important for the first few thousand miles. If the car is going to spring a leak it will virtually always do so when it is relatively new.
When you get the oil changed have the tires rotated. It is easy for the shop to do while the car is on the lift.
A good rule of thumb is that every 1 minute of labor and $1 spent on preventative maintenance will save 5-10 minutes and $5-$10 on repairs.
Enjoy your new car! :)

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Is it bad to take a relatively brand new car on a long road trip (like from CA to AZ)? I got a new car end of Sept and already have 1400 miles on it (just from driving back and forth to DZ and to LA). Thinking of going to Nationals next weekend out in AZ.

Also, will there be issues (if I get pulled over, etc), that I don't have my plates or registration yet. I was told by the dealer rep that it could take up to 3 months to get those in the mail[:/] .

I know these questions sound stupid, but it's been over 12 years since I've bought a car.

Wow. Here in Canada (at least my part of it, Alberta) you buy a car, go to the registry, register it and get plates and tags for that vehicle. IF you had plates from a previous vehicle, you just transfer those over and you're good to go. The same day.

I purchased a new Jeep in March. When I picked it up, I went to the registry, changed my plates to the new one (from the old one) and was good to go.

I never would have thought you would have to wait for that. Then again, I'm in a different country.
'Shell

Wow. Here in Canada (at least my part of it, Alberta) you buy a car, go to the registry, register it and get plates and tags for that vehicle. IF you had plates from a previous vehicle, you just transfer those over and you're good to go. The same day.

I purchased a new Jeep in March. When I picked it up, I went to the registry, changed my plates to the new one (from the old one) and was good to go.

I never would have thought you would have to wait for that. Then again, I'm in a different country.

That's why I inquired as to whether it was a lease. For the vehicles I have leased the dealer was responsible for getting the plates, but even then it was a matter of only a few days. Ones I bought were as you described...go to the registry and get plates same day if you want.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

GP, I reread this thread and I'm not sure that anyone really answered your original question.

When does the temporary registration expire? This is KEY.

If it expires before you are expected back, then you should be able to go to the DMV, explain what your plans are and get hard plates on the spot.

This might be wise regardless.

The "We will take care of the registration stuff, and we will mail you your plates in [insert x #of days/months] "service that the dealer "does", may be convenient for anyone who isn't going to go across the state border, but evidently not for you.

The key is when does your temp registration expire? As long as your car has anything that requires a second look, you are more likely to be pulled over "just because they can". They are trawling (kind of like trolling ;). This could be as simple as a tail light out or you pulled up to a light and didn't stop behind the line. [:/] Cops look for a reason to pull you over, that's what they are trained to do.

Sooo, as long as all the paperwork is in order and you aren't drinking AT ALL, if you don't get hard plates, you will be fine even if you get pulled over.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9