skydiver30960

Amazon Prime anyone?

So... I signed up for the free 30 day offer thingy, thinking I'd be totally nonplussed and would cancel before it slammed my credit card with the annual subscription fee.

BUT... I ordered a few things, watched a few movies, and I have to admit I really like it.

I order enough stuff from Amazon, and (while not EVERYTHING) the amount of stuff that is "Prime-eligible" for FREE two day shipping has made it worthwhile. I used to hunt-and-peck to get the free Super Saver (aka Super Slow) shipping; now I get much faster delivery for free. Although I haven't actually been keeping track, I'd bet that in just the past 30 days or so since paying the fee, I've already made it back in free shipping. I'll be WAY in the black eleven months from now.

The free streaming movies are a plus, but only as an adjunct to Netflix streaming. The only negative I can find is the fact that the way Amazon organizes their streaming movies only makes sense to the psycho kid played by Brad Pitt in "12 Monkeys."

So, while I am sure this will get me pinned as a corporate tool of the dehumanizing computocracy... to those who find themselves ordering from Amazon with frequency: give Prime a look.

Elvisio "Disclosure statement: I have no professional or financial interest in giving this talk" Rodriguez

I just cut off my cable and am trying a combo of Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime for my streaming video - seeing which service ends up having more of the shows/movies I enjoy (and since all of that is still shaking out as different services get rights to different media, I figure it'll take a while to be sure which ones I want to keep). I probably don't order enough on Amazon to justify the cost, but maybe the combo of shipping + video will pencil out over time. I'll try it out for a while and see how much I'm using it
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have been a prime member for two or three years now.

I order enough impulse stuff on Amazon that it is worth it.

Now the free streaming content is a bonus. It streams great to my smart phone, I might even get a HDMI cable so I can stream from my phone to my TV.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I just cut off my cable and am trying a combo of Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime for my streaming video - seeing which service ends up having more of the shows/movies I enjoy (and since all of that is still shaking out as different services get rights to different media, I figure it'll take a while to be sure which ones I want to keep). I probably don't order enough on Amazon to justify the cost, but maybe the combo of shipping + video will pencil out over time. I'll try it out for a while and see how much I'm using it

1.) My initial impression was that the shipping costs would be where the program paid for itself, but in a situation like yours, the streaming may be a key point rather than just a bonus.

2.) Thanks for the heads-up on Hulu Plus. I'm thinking more and more that the amount of money we give the cable company every month is absolutely INSANE for what we get from them. I don't think we could axe cable altogether but I think it's time to consider really cutting back on our cable package.

Elvisio "Cocheese: let go of my handle!" Rodriguez

I killed my cable about 3 months ago. Don't miss it at all. Love how they tag me for an extra $$ a month service charge for the privilege of receiving internet without having cable as well.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I thought you cooked Amazon.:o And I was thinkin, "Sure, I'll try some".;)

Elvisio "If yer gonna go cannibal, go BIG or go home" Rodriguez.

How does that line go.. oh yeah..... never bring a knife to a gun fight

I think the OP needs a hug from Amazon;)
One Jump Wonder

Watch out for the deals to get it free. They've had it for students and Moms now.

Yeah, my student just ran out. It's half off for me right now. If I were in the States, I'd be all over it like white on rice, but I have no need for it here. Shipping costs the same regardless, and I can't stream anything from here (yes, I know there's ways around that, I'm just too lazy to deal with it). And I'll be all over Amazon Mom when that day comes, but, for now, I'm at least nine months from that point (no baby in my belly, woohoo!).