ltdiver

Smart Phone Speedtest.net

Here's mine.

iPhone 4 on AT&T in Tampa, FL

Your WiFi rocks!! :D

Your 3G, however, sucks big time. B|

Guess you like hotspots, eh?

I get EDGE at work... so anything is better than that. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

iphone 3G
vodafone (AU)
ping 179ms
d/l 2.18Mpbs
up/l 0.8Mpbs
:(:(:(:(

:D:D:Dif you drag the dial down there's a picture of an angry cat behind it :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

iphone 3G
vodafone (AU)
ping 1090ms
d/l 0.12Mpbs
up/l 0.22Mpbs

On 3G network:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have a Garmin-Asus (Android) which is faster than the support (T-mobile)

All I get at home is E (Edge I guess). The phone is 3G, but I have to drive 40-50 mi. before I can pick that up, so my test results wouldn't mean much. They are pretty pathetic though.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Speedtest is nowhere near accurate.
It is measuring the speed from your device over your carrier's network to the internet. THEN over the internet to the speedtest servers.
Your carrier can only manage the performance over their network to where it is internet connected.
Very misleading.
Run speedtests only on your carrier's network.
No carrier can explain nor resolve any internet latency issues.

Over here it is beeing used by both users and carriers as the benchmark.
The carriers even write on their homepages on how to use similar tools as this.
And if you do have problems with speed and can back it up with data from such tools the can magically raise your speed.

And the funny thing is, if you pay for 10 MB/s, you usually get 7-8 MB/s. And they can not get it faster.
But if you call them and ask for 100 MB/s, you get 70-90 MB/s, and that is without replacing any hardware, just a push of a button.
But the extra 2-3 MB/s was impossible :ph34r:

So...we testing via wifi or cell?

Cell speed:
from your phone, to tower, from tower, wired connection, to layer 2 ethernet, to an internet connected router on your carrier's network.
Then add the speedtest servers. Over the internet to yet another carrier, then to the layer 2 ethernet for that market, to a wired connection into speedtest servers, then reverse the whole path.

I'd advise only using the speedtest servers on your carrier's network. It's ass loads more accurate.

Or I could just start shutting down the trunks to the cell towers if you like.
:P

Over here it is beeing used by both users and carriers as the benchmark.
The carriers even write on their homepages on how to use similar tools as this.
And if you do have problems with speed and can back it up with data from such tools the can magically raise your speed.

My original post takes this into account, with this "GottaBeMobile" review as my benchmark. This reviewer has the added convenience of having both the Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4s at his fingertips.

Then to add here, and why I wanted this thread to focus on just comparing 3G (and 4G) speeds, just look at what my nephew's internet connection bought my iPhone just yesterday! Thanksgiving at his San Diego house . . . and yes, he's a gamer! This is the fastest my little new phone will ever see!!! Wheeeeeee!!!!!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Given yesterday's sever lack of interwebs traffic....not surprising at all.

Don't know about you, but at this exact time I checked my iPhone's connection there were 4 other devices playing on the same wire. A interweb TV, 2 computers gaming, and my nephew's wife buying their kids and other family member's Christmas presents! (taking advantage of Black Friday's early deals to avoid having to go out at midnight in all that melee last night)! To say nothing of everyone's personal phones adding to the 'stress'. ;)

My nephew actually smiled and said that the connection is usually faster. :)

Correct.
Which then make a connection to the ISP via the broadband WAN connection.
Depending on your provider, this could be a shared connection in that the entire neighborhood rides the same virtual or physical path to the carrier. Then a connection to a peering partner for internet routing and paths to the speedtest server.
Into another carrier...

oh nevermind...enjoy your speedtesting journey.
B|

Just don't rely too heavily on those doctored and tricked reports of "performance".

Correct.
Which then make a connection to the ISP via the broadband WAN connection.
Depending on your provider, this could be a shared connection in that the entire neighborhood rides the same virtual or physical path to the carrier. Then a connection to a peering partner for internet routing and paths to the speedtest server.
Into another carrier...

oh nevermind...enjoy your speedtesting journey.
B|

I completely understand, and have understood, what you're driving at. Thank you for letting this thread return to what I wanted it to demonstrate. :)

Given yesterday's sever lack of interwebs traffic....not surprising at all.

Don't know about you, but at this exact time I checked my iPhone's connection there were 4 other devices playing on the same wire. A interweb TV, 2 computers gaming, and my nephew's wife buying their kids and other family member's Christmas presents! (taking advantage of Black Friday's early deals to avoid having to go out at midnight in all that melee last night)! To say nothing of everyone's personal phones adding to the 'stress'. ;)

My nephew actually smiled and said that the connection is usually faster. :)

:D:D:D:D you thought low enough of people's breadth of vocabulary to link the word:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:, just to make it easier on them:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?