loumeinhart

combining 2 couches into 1

How good of a carpenter are you? Any experience with reupholstery?

I've never butchered a couch and rearranged the structural points, but that's what you would need to do.

I have a fair amount of experience with reupholstering, and It's not for the faint of heart either. It's not cheap either. Often, it's more expensive than replacing the couch.

Good luck, if you go ahead and do this. Take pictures and post them as you go, so we can cheer you on, and offer advice (whether you solicit it or not ;) )

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Anyone every tried this?

Guess not. Wonder why?

I'm guessing you're preparred to toss these couches on the curb and buy new when this fails. That said, if you want to try, ditch the miter cut and go with a butt joint. It's a couch, not a picture frame, and a butt joint will save you the trouble of cutting the cushions and one of the couches all together.

Lop off one armrest, figure out a way to clean up the cut, and slide the other couch into position. Then, sell everything you own that you didn't buy a Walmart, and move your 'new' couch into a double-wide. Watch 'Joe Dirt' for grooming and fashion advice, and start you new life as a redneck. At least you already have the fake tuxedo.

Do you want it to look nice? Is it going into the living room or the basement/garage?

Unless it's going somewhere where you don't care how it looks it's going to be a lot more effort and expense than a new one.

Is it wood framed or metal?

If it's metal framed, forget it. You'd have to weld stuff together, and that would mean stripping a lot of the cloth and foam off to prevent a fire.

Wood framed would be easier (still not easy). If it were me, I'd think about taking an end off one couch and attaching it to the other, a "square on" joint, not a 45. There would be a lot less rebuilding (and re-engineering) of the frame that way. Don't forget, there will be a significant amount of weight on the thing. A failure probably wouldn't hurt anyone, but it would be...
interesting.

There would still be a lot of work. If you are approaching it as a "interesting project" to see if you can do it, then maybe give it a shot.
If you are trying to get a "L" couch on the cheap, you'd probably be better off selling the ones you have (or just giving them away) and finding one on Craigslist or something similar secondhand.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

ditch the miter cut and go with a butt joint.

considered that. They're small and have a boxy build so butting will probably fly. Plus I'll save length. I may build an 'island' out of the armrest. But I'll probably stuff a pillow in it and cover with blanket.

Screw Joe Dirt - Beavis and Butthead are back on the air