Jeth

Boeri Ski / Snowboard Helmet for jumping??

Hey there,

I was just wondering about these snowboarding helmets I found. They are so much cheaper than skydiving helmets, and look a lot cooler than a pro-tec. B|

Does anyone know if these would be alright for skydiving? They have padding, a chin strap, and go down over the ears. I will attach a picture of one.
Also, obviously they don't have a spot for an audible, but is there a way I could put one in it?

Thanks.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

and look a lot cooler than a pro-tec

Anything is cooler than a pro-tec!
I'll be interested to see what comments you receive, I've always thought skiing/snowboarding helmets would be more than adequate.

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
- Abraham Lincoln

Hey there,

I was just wondering about these snowboarding helmets I found. They are so much cheaper than skydiving helmets, and look a lot cooler than a pro-tec. B|

Does anyone know if these would be alright for skydiving? They have padding, a chin strap, and go down over the ears.

Your helmet should be fine. The Boeri helmets are tested and certified for skiing and snowboarding under one of several ski specific international standards. I suspect that the impact mechanisms of skiing are probably pretty close to low impact skydiving accidents. Keep in mind that skydiving specific helmets are NOT certified in any category or for any application (with the exception of the Pro Tec). Boeri helmets are considered very good in the ski/snowboard industry.

Before you use your ski helmet for skydiving, check carefully for snag points, especially around the ears. It is important that there not be any elements that may snag a line. Also check the weight of the helmet. Deceleration creates a high g-load, and a heavier helmet may present a problem at opening time. Many ski/snowboard hemmets are designed to be very lightweight, so this might not be a problem with yours.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thanks for the info, this is great to hear! :)
I wasn't sure if helmets were made for different types of impacts or whatever. It seems like the weight might factor in, too. But the pro-tec is just your basic plastic and foam, so it seems like most helmets would protect just as well as that does. And these snowboard helmets say they are very lightweight.
What about how they have vents on the sides and top, does that matter? Of course, the pro-tec has holes on the top, so probably the same thing.

I just want my melon protected in case someone kicks me, I knock my head on the door, or I smack my head on landing.
(But I don't want to spend $200+ if I don't have to. ;))

Any other comments? Has anyone actually jumped with one?
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Thanks, Tom! Thats just the answer I was looking for! :)
I think I will see if I can find one that doesn't have the goggles hook in the back. (Or maybe I could remove that?)

Now what about putting an audible in one of these, is that possible?
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Looks like a Boeri Axis. I've jumped mine. If yours is the same, you can pull back the lining over either ear, and insert an audible.

That is what i was thinking, my bonehead flat-top N doesn't have an audible pocket either, well, not till i cut one in the foam.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Thanks for the info, this is great to hear! :)
But the pro-tec is just your basic plastic and foam, so it seems like most helmets would protect just as well as that does.

Actually, I recall there are two different Pro Tec helmets. One is made for the general domestic market, the other has a different kind of foam and is made for the California market, where there are higher state standards. I did some research on the issue last year and posted here detailing the standards for the Pro Tec. Do a search and see what you can find.

The other thing worth noting is that different helmets have different kinds of shells designed to withstand different impact levels. Consumer Reports did a feature about ski/snowboard helmets last year that covered all the details. As I recall, there was even one brand/model that did great on all the tests, but one color of that model failed because the metallic paint weakened the shell. It's interesting stuff. To suggest that 'a helmet is a helmet' misses the tech side of design. it's sort of like saying 'a parachute is a parachute.'
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thanks, Tom! Thats just the answer I was looking for! :)
I think I will see if I can find one that doesn't have the goggles hook in the back. (Or maybe I could remove that?)

Now what about putting an audible in one of these, is that possible?

I just bought a skiing helmet also. I ripped of the goggle strap, and carefully drilled out the snap and rivit.
Also sewed a zipper (inside) to hold an audible.

I happen to like my protec!

Sorry Justin, I was being facetious!
My son uses a pro-tec, it was easy to fit his pro-dytter, and as you say they are cheap(ish).
As a point of interest how much is a pro-tec in the States. Over here we pay just under £40 ($70)

I use a cheapo snowboarding helmet now rather than forking out the best part of £200 fvor a new helmet.

The padding and impact protection feels more than adequte - especially compared to my old 2K FF1.

Watch out for snag points! i had to snap off and file down a couple of pointy plastic things on the side that were supposed to be for air vents. A decent file and some gaffer tape worked wonders.