fly4jumps

What would you do?

Reverse PLF?
Head first? :D

Depending on the altitude i would perhaps fly it just for fun but i would chop it and land with the reserve.

If i would by any reason fly a canopy that would give me less than 1 WL and the wind would make a slow landing, i could perhaps think about it.
But i dont think i would do it anyway, way too high risk for nothing

i would turn my self so the canopy was in a half twist but i was facing the direction the canopy was flying, that way i could fly it down using riser inputs until about 200 then land it backwards.

pretty not good idea IMNSHO, that is a low change. get good at flying it backwards, practice even flare, and reverse PLF. (it is different).

Get video Pete.

You're looking at your pilot chute infront of your canopy and you are flying backwards.

AND.... someone just happens to be standing on your shoulders. B|

This guy hooks up his canopy backwards to get good video of Mr. Bills. It makes it easier to film.

I've seen him land backwards a number of times.
Owned by Remi #?

You're looking at your pilot chute infront of your canopy and you are flying backwards.

AND.... someone just happens to be standing on your shoulders. B|

This guy hooks up his canopy backwards to get good video of Mr. Bills. It makes it easier to film.

I've seen him land backwards a number of times.

B|B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm having a hard time picturing this.

-Canopy connected properly, pushed back by wind:
I pull left, I go left. I don't get the "facing" part.

-Canopy connected backwards, pushed back by wind:

-Canopy connected backwards, body moving backwards:

Maybe it's the left/right stuff. I tend to think "this way" and "that way".

What the other guy said.

Regular canopy backing up...
You're aimed north but flying backward (south). Pull down with your left hand and you'll turn west (counterclockwise when looking straight down at the ground past your feet).

Canopy connected backwards...
Your body is pointing north but the canopy is flying south. Pull down with your left hand and your body will turn toward the east (clockwise).

I was just pointing out that they'll feel opposite, not the same as someone suggested.

Dave

"facing" means just what it says... the direction that the person's face is pointed.

With a correctly rigged canopy if I pull the right toggle the canopy turns that way AND my face turns that way.

With a backwards canopy, if I pull the canopies right toggle (on my left side), the canopy turns to its right and I am now facing toward the LEFT of the canopys previous path.

Since you are viewing backwards flight from the canopy's POV, OK. It does get confusing that way, though. Why complicate things?

I must be different...I see things from MY POV. I'd look where I'm going.

Flying a backwards canopy...if I pull in the direction I want to go, I turn in the direction I want to go. No more complicated than that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Your body is pointing north but the canopy is flying south. Pull down with your left hand and your body will turn toward the east (clockwise).

...and the canopy, with your body attached, goes to the west.

You guys are getting waaaay too complicated for this.

With that said, I'd probably chop, esp. on a low wind day, because I can't run backwards very fast. :D

:D:D

Anybody who has flown a T10, or similar, probably has good experience in backwards PLF...and sideways, too.
:o:D:D

2 1/2 hrs practicing from an 8ft platform, forwards, backwards and sideways, took up most of my FJC training time. I hated my JM brother and obviously, now that I think about it, he probably hated me too.
:D:D

...and the canopy, with your body attached, goes to the west.

You guys are getting waaaay too complicated for this.

The most complicated SCR ceremony EVER!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hypothetical Situation: (this didn't happen yet)

You jump at whatever experince level you're at, at whatever dropzone you jump at and out of any plane you want. Jump goes well, then you pull. Nice soft opening. Canopy is square, stable, slider is down AND you can steer it.

The catch? You're looking at your pilot chute infront of your canopy and you are flying backwards.

Land it? or go to your Reserve? Why? Under what circumstances or experince level would you change your mind?

I was once in that situation. After some crwjumps, I was too lazy do unpack my normal canopy and installed it without checking everything.
I had 400 or 500 jumps, it happend at a bussy DZ I was not used to jump.
Till today (4000 jumps later) I never questioned my decision to cutaway (Sabre I, 135, WL 1,33).

BTW The jump before the incident was the last crw jump of a crw-camp and I had a canopycollision. The main was damaged, but I could land it (using rearrisers). The left steeringlines were ripped of.

2 1/2 hrs practicing from an 8ft platform, forwards, backwards and sideways, took up most of my FJC training time. I hated my JM brother and obviously, now that I think about it, he probably hated me too.

Really wish the Army woulda taken that up... only 2.5 hours on the SLT woulda been nice.

Ofcourse, now, I hope they make it longer... :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Really wish the Army woulda taken that up... only 2.5 hours on the SLT woulda been nice.

Ofcourse, now, I hope they make it longer... :D

Yeah, and I didn't have a zip line to play with either.
:P:D:D
I agree...next generation should get 3 weeks.