JohnRich

DVR Advice Needed

I hate paying a monthly service fee for my cable TV DVR (digital video recorder). I'd like to record TV shows for later viewing, using a box with a hard drive. I don't want to use my old magnetic tape VCR, or a DVR that requires loading DVD discs upon which to record.

Tivo seems to be the only game in town for TV recording to a hard drive, and they require their own monthly subscription fee, with no option to record without it.

Is there a hard drive recorder that records for free after you buy the darn thing?

I know the subscription fee allows you access to channel guides and such which let you pick shows to record based upon name, etc. But I don't need that functionality, I want to do it with just a channle number, date and time, for free. Just like the old VCR, but without having to juggle different tapes around all the time.

What's out there for me?

Don't know about the state side of things John but what your talking about is like the UK free-view service. Where you receive certain channels for free and they need a digital receiver(UK changed from analogue to digital recently ), that doesn't cost much and now they usually come with back up drives in built :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I have a DVR digital box with a USB socket, when i want to record free to digital air TV, i just plug in an external drive and it records direct to that.
I can then play back on the TV or connect the drive to any computer and watch the programs on the move.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

A really good option if you are not looking for recording of HD content is to look for Series 2 Tivo's with the Lifetime subscription option. Years ago Tivo used to run specials where you could buy lifetime service on their DVR for like $150 after buying the unit. Tons of people did this but the issue with the Series 2 units is they can only use one channel and they can only do Standard Def content, they will not even get HD content. I see them go on Craigslist for less than $75 all the time. I even have one I am looking to get rid of with the WiFi adapter for around that cost.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com