nigel99

Android word subsitution

I like my smartphone, but bloody hell I am sick of it replacing my words with what it THINKS I should have said!

As I type I check that I haven't missed a key and I've typed the word correctly but then you press send/post whatever and then you see that it has replaced a word with something completely random...

Going to have to find out how to turn that shit off.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I had a pilot yesterday who's radar transponder had failed, so the previous controller cleared him "as filed" via Victor airways at 10,000 feet so we could manually separate other aircraft from his route of flight. So far, so good.

When he checked on my frequency, he reported approaching a reporting point not on his filed route. :o I started asking him questions and pieced together that his smartphone app from AOPA had amended his flight plan to a more direct set of airways, disregarding his need to stay clear of several busy terminal areas. He was 10-20 miles off course and invisible to us. Crap! He had caught the app SNAFU and refiled the correct route thru flight service, but the 2nd proposal didn't print out at the controller's sector until after he had departed. :| I'm glad I caught the mistake, but sheesh!:S

To all the non-pilots here, sorry about babbling on in ATC talk. :D

Very valid point. When we start using immature technologies in business that deals with life and death, we are setting ourselves up for tragedy. The auto-spell thing needs another 10-20 years to get better. I'm very surprised AOPA would release an app like that - they are usually pretty conservative.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD