janz

Could they have made it today?

One word answer?
NO

Look at Rhiana, the girl can't sing worth a shit....but boy is she good to look at. Ask me if i care if she can sing or not? Better yet...ask all the ladies who love her if she can sing or not?
I'll give you a hint....NO!

As shallow as i am, your average 15-25yo woman who buys music is much much much worse! Don't believe me? Watch Adelle now that she has lost weight....odds are her sales will go up.

We are human we are shallow creatures and true artists just have to deal with our shit.

I agree here. In my opinion, the music industy is as much as a product as say, an automobile. The purpose is to make money. Shallow as it seems, people generally do not want to spend money for the purpose of being PC. They just want pay for something that they want. There are many great musicians who tour that do not have a major label and will never have one as they are not marketable.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Sadly your correct, a great number of talented singers we grew up with would have no chance now. Might not be your kind of music but i saw Big Mama Thornton in person, my goodness she could sing. But she wasn't a cute long legged blond so now days they would never take a second look. If you don't know who she was she wrote and recorded Elvis Presley's hound dog and Janis Joplins ball and chain before they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XUAg1_A7IE
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Each generation looks for what they can call their own. With some of our parents, it was Perry Como, Bing Crosby and so-on. With my generation, it was Elvis, Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones, Them, The Beatles. With each new generation comes a new style of sound. Each generation looks for 'the next big thing'. Record companies are quickly there to capitalize on it.

Chuck

Each generation looks for what they can call their own. With some of our parents, it was Perry Como, Bing Crosby and so-on. With my generation, it was Elvis, Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones, Them, The Beatles. With each new generation comes a new style of sound. Each generation looks for 'the next big thing'. Record companies are quickly there to capitalize on it.

Chuck

Chuck

this current generation seem to lack a lot of originality, instead regurgitating many of the previous generations sounds.
I often chastise the students around me for listening to and focusing on music that i grew up with. They should be playing stuff i don't like or understand.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Each generation looks for what they can call their own. With some of our parents, it was Perry Como, Bing Crosby and so-on. With my generation, it was Elvis, Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones, Them, The Beatles. With each new generation comes a new style of sound. Each generation looks for 'the nextbig thing'. Record companies are quickly there to capitalize on it. Chuck Chuck

this current generation seem to lack a lot of originality, instead regurgitating many of the previous generations sounds. I often chastise the students around me for listening to and focusing on music that i grew up with. They should be playing stuff i don't like or understand.

Adults never like what their kids listen to, anyhow.

Chuck

Each generation looks for what they can call their own. With some of our parents, it was Perry Como, Bing Crosby and so-on. With my generation, it was Elvis, Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones, Them, The Beatles. With each new generation comes a new style of sound. Each generation looks for 'the nextbig thing'. Record companies are quickly there to capitalize on it. Chuck Chuck

this current generation seem to lack a lot of originality, instead regurgitating many of the previous generations sounds. I often chastise the students around me for listening to and focusing on music that i grew up with. They should be playing stuff i don't like or understand.

Chuck
that's my point Chuck, all the stuff these kids listen to is Stuff I OWN. and that's wrong.:D:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Chuck
that's my point Chuck, all the stuff these kids listen to is Stuff I OWN. and that's wrong.:D:D:D:D:D

When my oldest boy was 10 or 12-yrs. old, he 'discovered The Who'. He read-up on their history and bought every cd he could find of them. I bought their music on vinyl! After getting over the initial shock, I felt pretty good about it. The boy showed some class. Time went on and then, he discovered 'Greenday' and some of those others of that genre. I can't handle that stuff. Just history repeating itself.

Chuck

When my oldest boy was 10 or 12-yrs. old, he 'discovered The Who'. He read-up on their history and bought every cd he could find of them. I bought their music on vinyl! After getting over the initial shock, I felt pretty good about it. The boy showed some class. Time went on and then, he discovered 'Greenday' and some of those others of that genre.

I saw the Who a couple of times in the mid 70's and have some of their vinyl. My kids, too, have discovered them. Vskydiver and I took some of the kids to a Greenday show once and had a great time. "Dookie", one of their first CD's, is great. Maybe give 'em another listen. :)

When my oldest boy was 10 or 12-yrs. old, he 'discovered The Who'. He read-up on their history and bought every cd he could find of them. I bought their music on vinyl! After getting over the initial shock, I felt pretty good about it. The boy showed some class. Time went on and then, he discovered 'Greenday' and some of those others of that genre.

I saw the Who a couple of times in the mid 70's and have some of their vinyl. My kids, too, have discovered them. Vskydiver and I took some of the kids to a Greenday show once and had a great time. "Dookie", one of their first CD's, is great. Maybe give 'em another listen. :)

Through my kids, I listened to quite a bit of their choices in music and found some Greenday's music not too bad. I just can't stand those groups who hang a Fender around their necks and it sounds like trash cans being battered with a #24 pipe wrench. The incridibly fast rythm of some music today really grates on my nerves.

Chuck

Two words: Amy Winehouse.

My first thought as well.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.