Rstanley0312

Interesting study on quick thought, math, etc.

A Vogon galactic highway construction crew finds a small spherical rocky planet in its path and decides to bore (by vaporization) a cylindrical tunnel right through the center of the planet. Since they are paid piece rates, they have to measure the length of the resulting tunnel. It turns out to be exactly 1 Vogon mile in length.

What is the volume of the remaining rock in the planet?

My first thought (quick) is that no volume measurement has been referenced, only length, so not enough info to possibly answer. Not a math major, just an artist :$. What do I know?:o

There is a unique answer, and knowing that helps solve the problem in your head in 30 seconds. Or you can use calculus and spend an hour over it.

I'm afraid to answer, because everything I have said in the last 48 hours has been wrong [:/] Even the post I just did. It, evidently, is somewhere in the ether. :S:D

I hate when that happens. B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Yes, "quick thought" caused me to fail to do the first thing I usually do when looking at these types of problems ...take the conditions to either limit and see what happens mathematically. Instead, I went the "visualization" route assuming we didn't have enough information.