Skyrad

Anyone watching the Olympic opening ceremony

However for the peeps who may be in London right now and are lucky enough to have tickets I do hope they have fun.

Thanks you, I'm sure I will.B|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

SUCKED!!!! I liked China's summer, and Norway's winter. This was just a mishmosh of forgettable British history and culture. At one point, I thought they were gonna spray coal dust on the spectators for effect.

I found it to be a great parapharsing over english culture, both industrial and cultural.
But, I can easily see how some americans wouldn't be able to see the good parts of it. I suppose we lose a certain segment of the population the moment we move away from easily digestible tripe.
FWIW, well done, Danny boy, well done.

I thought it started slow, then ended with quite a bang. I've been reading Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples, so I didn't mind the bit of history they threw in, but I found the later parts of the ceremony more inspiring.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Is anyone watching the opening ceremony in a couple of hours from now? Curious what you all think.

I watched it in a bar so I couldn't hear it. I think it gave me a different take on it than if I had heard it. I saw a proud people. The opening in China seemed too regimented. Successful but I got the feeling heads would roll if a mistake was made.
Performed good, bad or otherwise the opening in London seemed like the performer really believed in what they were doing.
Maybe if I had heard it I would feel differently

The Queen looked so pissed off she was picking her nails at one point looking bored when they cut to her for one shot priceless.

This had me laughing my ass off. :D:D:D

http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/bored_queen_quickly_becomes_internet_sensation/11318305/
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I thought it started slow, then ended with quite a bang. I've been reading Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples, so I didn't mind the bit of history they threw in, but I found the later parts of the ceremony more inspiring.

Me too.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I thought it was utterly fan-fucking-tastic.

Teeny bit slow at the start, but by the time the rings had been forged and flown in to the air I was utterly loving it.

The Queen and James Bond, J K Rowling, Mr Bean - all moments of genius.

Made me very proud to be British watching it. Well done all I say.

The countries arriving was a bit slow, but then all was redeemed with the AMAZING cauldron.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

The countries arriving was a bit slow

Actually, the commentators said it was the fastest procession of nations ever at an Olympic opening ceremony.

Probably had something to do with all the nations that sent 5 or fewer competitors. :|:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I didn't catch all of it, but what I saw I thought was pretty amazing. And yes, it did give me some sense of national pride - which can only be a good thing in a country not known for it.

I would have to agree with those who argued that much of it would have been lost on non-Brits. In fact, a lot of the historical stuff would have baffled plenty of Brits too!