theonlyski

No bike for you!

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/sports/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2012/8/23/usada_to_ban_armstro.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) --

U.S. Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart says the agency will ban Lance Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his seven Tour de France titles for doping.

Armstrong on Thursday night dropped any further challenges to USADA's allegations that he took performance-enhancing drugs to win cycling's premier event from 1999-2005.

Armstrong says USADA doesn't have the authority to vacate his Tour titles. However, Tygart told The Associated Press that USADA can do it.

Tygart called the Armstrong case a "heartbreaking" example of a win-at-all costs approach to sports.

Man, they're not joking... Wonder how they will enforce him not cycling at all. :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I would expect whoever came in 2nd would be declared the winner.

Pretty sad.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Ah. No, I had not. Apparently they are all out of control. I guess they need to nullify those years as if there was no race. Makes one wonder if they should continue at all if cheating is that prolific. Either that or quit trying to regulate the drugs at all. Mr. Olympia tried drug testing for a brief while. Then, they decided it was hurting the sport and just moved on.

Not surprised about Armstrong. He cheated on the wife that stuck with him through all the cancer drama. After that, cheating for a bicycle race is small change.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I would expect whoever came in 2nd would be declared the winner.

Dig a little deeper:S

Did. Keep reading.

I guess they need to nullify those years as if there was no race.

They just need to leave it alone. If you keep digging at the past there's no end to it.

Anyone who looks at the power numbers or climbing speeds knows that things are different now, and there aren't really any current riders left who've been cheated out of anything from the Lance/EPO era. Just let it lie, have a clean(ish) break and focus on policing today's riders.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Anyone who looks at the power numbers or climbing speeds knows that things are different now, and there aren't really any current riders left who've been cheated out of anything from the Lance/EPO era. Just let it lie, have a clean(ish) break and focus on policing today's riders.

Didn't he finish third at the TdF three years ago? Surely some of those riders were cheated out of something and many of them are still active.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Didn't he finish third at the TdF three years ago? Surely some of those riders were cheated out of something and many of them are still active.

AFAIK none of the accusations levelled at Armstrong in this case relate to anything that occurred during his comeback.

Obviously, the benefits of having trained with drugs for well over a decade don't just go away but I don't think there's any evidence on the table right now to suggest he was following the same program in '09/'10 as he was in '99 - '05.

(Besides, it was Wiggins who finshed 4th in '09 and he's just won the thing, so he's probably not too bothered:P)

AFAIK none of the accusations levelled at Armstrong in this case relate to anything that occurred during his comeback.

Obviously, the benefits of having trained with drugs for well over a decade don't just go away but I don't think there's any evidence on the table right now to suggest he was following the same program in '09/'10 as he was in '99 - '05.

(Besides, it was Wiggins who finshed 4th in '09 and he's just won the thing, so he's probably not too bothered:P)

The charging letter alleges he has blood values consistent with manipulation (EPO or transfusion) in 2009 and 2010. It was part of how they were attempting to get around the statute of limitations. Not sure what his teammates would testify to for those years.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Dayum! Reporting the news 6 months in advance! I'm going to start reading it daily for stock tips.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The charging letter alleges he has blood values consistent with manipulation (EPO or transfusion) in 2009 and 2010. It was part of how they were attempting to get around the statute of limitations. Not sure what his teammates would testify to for those years.

Sounds pretty weak.

If they could demonstrate through testing that he was doping during the comeback, they would have done so with no need for this circus. The UCI/WADA had a leaked document a year or so ago giving current World tour riders a 'suspicion' rating out of 10 based on the values in their bio passports. But you can't ban someone for suspicion so unless they had anything solid on him for those years then I don't (at least yet) view those years in the same way as the rest of his career.