venwood

Low Hook Turns Kill

As far as depth goes, I'm advanced openwater, but a lot of folks do deep dives (and night dives for that matter) on their standard openwater license.

THEN COUNT ME IN!!! I've never dived at night either (since that also requires advance liscense) but I did take a course for the advanced liscesne, just never did the in-water training part b/c I took it at UF when I went there and after about the first 3 weeks of school, that semester, I became VERY sick and had to withdraw. I had too much catching up to do to be able to re-enroll in a *fun* class.
I'm jealous:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/
PS...I'm in news reporting class so if it's not logged in right, this is PLF.

I've always wanted to do a wreck dive and haven't yet. How deep is it? I'm certified up to 60 feet deep although I've dived 80 feet before

Wreck diving rocks.. That's about all I've done, with the exception of a couple of shark dives.. Down in the Keys, there are wrecks in as little as 30 feet, and as deep as 120 feet.. Most are in the vicinity of 50-70.. There are even a few wrecks that you can do some serious penetration dives.. I've only done a couple of those, it can be pretty dangerous if you're not very experienced.. I'm gonna go do a refresher course here soon, and then get back to it..
I really want to dive an area off the coast of NC.. There is an area with 5 or 6 ships and a submarine in about 90 feet.. Pretty impressive from what I hear.. Florida has quite a few wrecks, too.. Not many in Central and Northern Florida, but Southern Florida is packed with 'em.. There's even a sinkhole up near Ocala that has some decent diving - or so I hear.. Motorcycles, cars, mini-subs, small boats, caves, airplanes... It's got all kinds of things.. It gets as deep as 250ft in some places, but under 100 in most..
Mike

although the hockey gear is in an old scuba equipment bag... hmmmm... could be a problem! As long as I don't try to pull my pilot chute with my hockey gloves, I think everything SHOULD be ok...

Hmm.. Now that sounds interesting.. Could mean a whole new form of "air hockey", eh? Let's give it a shot!
Mike

News class??? That's funny - I'm working in a newsROOM right now! Now get back to your studies!

News room??? What do you do, Frank? Yes, news class, that's actually why I transfered b/c I was *supposed* to do my internship at Wakeboarding magazine here but decided to do my internship for Skydiving mag instead since they are right here in Deland. I was actually going to work there part-time a few months ago but Mike needed more editorial experience than I had since I haven't taken but 1 course on news editing yet. But we'll see, right now I'm more interested in Sociology. My major is news/media but I'm going to double-major, I think, and major in Sociology as well b/c I absolutely LOVE it. My dream is to travel to all different places and not go to the touristy parts but actually live for a while, just as the people in those countries live and help out where I can. After high school I wanted to join the Peace Corps but they require that you be in college so that still may happen for me although I"m getting REALLY burnt out on school. Anyways...now that you know my life story....HA HA HA....we seem to have quite a bit in common. I'm interested to know what it is you do???:)Mike, yes, I've heard of a great wreck dive off the coast in Ft. Lauderdale that I was actually scheduled to dive once but that was during that same advanced class I was taking that I had to withdraw from due to illness. UF is in gainesville, actually, right near Ocala but I haven't heard about that sink-hole you are referring to but it sounds REALLY interesting. If you have more info on that I'd love to know:)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!

Carrie, I'm a "Senior ENG Editor" at CHEK TV in Victoria, BC. Translation: We put together all of our television newscasts. I've seen lots of tape today of the storm in the North East. And too many pictures of the school shooting in California. I edit all the video that goes on the news! :)Oh yeah - we have awesome wreck diving in our waters (although I've never been personally). The "Artifical Reef Society" buys decomissioned naval vessles, cleans them up, strips them of all potential snags on the inside, then scuttles them. Ver cool to watch them go down, and all the sea-beasties love to call them home!

Maybe you should come and do your practicum here! I'll teach all about journalism!!!

Frank, I hope you mean that b/c here I come! In all seriousness I'd LOVE to. It'd be a great excuse to meet a fellow DZ.comer, see BC, and get some awesome information! I'll be needing to start in about a year from now so keep in touch!
Much love and blue skies!

Well, the DZ is open weekends all thru winter, there are a couple of good dive shops in town, and we always seem to have a handful of practicum students around, so anytime sounds good to me! The last reporter we hired had done a practicum at 20/20 with Barbra Walters after spending a while at our station! Right now we have a gal from the Netherlands, and a couple of others from who knows where!?! Of course, you'd have to sit and listen to me babble on about skydiving half the day... I think we have the skydivingest newsroom around. The News Director, one of the supper hour news anchors, and one of the reporters have all done the FJC! (When someone shows interest, I'm persuasive...)

Mike, yes, I've heard of a great wreck dive off the coast in Ft. Lauderdale that I was actually scheduled to dive once but that was during that same advanced class I was taking that I had to withdraw from due to illness. UF is in gainesville, actually, right near Ocala but I haven't heard about that sink-hole you are referring to but it sounds REALLY interesting. If you have more info on that I'd love to know.

It's called Forty Fathom Grotto. Owned by a world record deep diver. Check out their website at "www.mrscuba.com"..
So are you interning at Skydiving mag right now? I sent in a subscription(via their website) there almost 3 months ago - so far no issues and no charge on the credit card.. I just realized that yesterday.. Do they check the website?
Mike

Frank! That all sounds very cool! I'm there in a year!:)

So are you interning at Skydiving mag right now? I sent in a subscription(via their website) there almost 3 months ago - so far no issues and no charge on the credit card.. I just realized that yesterday.. Do they check the website?

Nope, not interning right now. I need one in a year and Mike basically said "Welcome aboard" when that time comes but he also asked if I'd like to go ahead and work there part time but he was assuming I'd had editorial experience, which, I don't, so we put that off for a while:)[email protected]. Mike doesn't handle subscriptions but the only e-mail addresses I have are for him and Sue who handles the stories but Mike will point you in the right direction I'm sure and get you squared away.
MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!

I am happy to see that this thread provoked some thoughts about hook turning. How it went to scuba diving and editorial jobs lord knows? Pity on those few who took a serious subject to a coffee table discussion. Knock on wood...Any more thoughts on hook turning? Any more thoughts on canopy training?
allways looking for a safe landing

Venwood,
In conversation, just about any that starts out serious or light can end up in a more light or serious discussion. No-one was making light of hook turns. There were some excellent opinions and information posted before the discussion took a new route. If you'd like additional information, why not post another thread and ask any questions you're interested in? I'm sure there would be a lot of response:)Much love and blue skies,

As far as hook turns go, I don't plan on trying 'em below 1000 anytime soon (then, I suppose, it's not a real hook), if ever. At my stage of the game, it's just tempting fate.
As far as canopy control goes, I watched Fly Like A Pro. Pretty good video. Talks a lot about wind effects, how to figure out if you're long or short, setting up approaches, etc. Worth watching at least once.
I may start taking a frisbee out to the DZ and just toss it out in the field and make that my "target" to go for. I figure that might be better practice than a stationary, pre-determined spot at the DZ where you start learning how to get there by rote. If the "target" moves, you really have to start understanding how your canopy flies, wind effects, have better altitude awareness, etc. lus it keeps things interesting.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I am happy to see that this thread provoked some thoughts about hook turning. How it went to scuba diving and editorial jobs lord knows? Pity on those few who took a serious subject to a coffee table discussion.

Sorry if our conversation is not to your taste - but we don't want your pity! This is the only place we have to share our thoughts and ideas about a variety of subjects -- sometimes one thing turns into another ... if you need a serious discussion about hook turns, perhaps try the safety and training forum... there is less of the "chatter" there that you find so annoying.
Frank

Wow your bro just left you hanging mid-conversation for 11 years now hasn't he? Well man no one needs to be left hangin' for that long, so yeah swooping is great?

dude, you might want to keep an eye on how old these threads are that you're replying in. nothing wrong with it, it's just dredging up old stuff with potentially old info that has been covered and updated recently.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Wow your bro just left you hanging mid-conversation for 11 years now hasn't he? Well man no one needs to be left hangin' for that long, so yeah swooping is great?

dude, you might want to keep an eye on how old these threads are that you're replying in. nothing wrong with it, it's just dredging up old stuff with potentially old info that has been covered and updated recently.

it's intentional, they're tolling:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

it's intentional, they're tolling:ph34r::ph34r:

Sounds like he needs an E-Zpass :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9