AEsco48

FJC or straight into Cat A jump?

Several years ago in Florida i started the AFF and did maybe 2 hr of training before the 1st jump ( I had read part of the SIM before hand, but I dont i told the instructor) and the jumped... Now i am reading about an 8hr FJC....

Can some one please clarify...

Thx

Did you do an AFF style jump (2 instructors holding on to you at both your sides, you having your own canopy and being alone under canopy) or a tandem type jump (you + instructor sharing one canopy)? There are dropzones that combine tandem jumps for the first or more jumps followed by "real" AFF jumps, making them "working tandems" as opposed to just a ride.

A typical FJC for either a (real) AFF jump or a staticline jump is 6-12 hours, yes.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Most DZ's say their FJC is 8 hours but it rarely takes that long. Most times it around 4-5 hours and the student is ready to jump. It might take longer if the student is having issues around a concept but otherwise the material is faster but they want people to allow for the entire time anyways. You would not believe how many people try to do something like plan an tee time at like 5 since "you said it was only 3-4 hours and we started at 9" and thought they would have the entire rest of the day to do things.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Are you asking if you would be required to take the AFF FJC again?

I would hope so and I'm not sure why you would elect not to, if given the choice. You did say your first two jumps were several years ago.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

It sounds like I went through a progression similar to yours while trying to get through AFF. I started AFF in one location, made 2 AFF jumps, ran out of money and good weather, and had to wait another 2 years before I was in a location and had the financial stability to get through the entire AFF course.

I explained my situation and went through the FJC again at my second DZ. I was the only student in the class, and I remembered far more than I thought I would from my first FJC, so the classroom portion only took about 2 hours. I was fortunate that my instructor was willing to work with what I already knew, letting me tell him what I remembered from my first time around and then filling in the gaps and really drilling in the EPs, dive flow, basic canopy skills, and gear knowledge.

If you remember a significant amount of knowledge from your first FJC, and you are lucky enough to be in a small class where the instructor can work with you at an accelerated pace, your second FJC might not take the full 8 hours.

FJC...no questions asked.
You'll be glad you did.

Besides, after 2 years, no DZ (well, to be fair, there might be some out there) will just let you jump right into Cat A without doing FJC...at least, at minimum, an in-depth refresher.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

On top of that, if you only spent two hours in a "first-jump course", there's no way you were taught everything you need to know to safely make an AFF Level 1 jump and practiced it adequately. No way.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan