airtwardo

~ Flu Shot

A lot of talk on the radio this morning urging people to get one soon ~ I never have and don't get sick.

Capt. Mom is thinking about it since she's stuck in a metal tube re-breathin' peoples germs 1/2 the month.

Thoughts?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I got the flu for the first time in about 30 years last winter. If I remember, I'll probably get one this year. It was a fairly mild flu, and I was nevertheless miserable. My husband gets one every year, and suffers no ill effects.

Were I flying in a metal tube full of people who can't afford to put off the flight because the ticket cost so much, I'd fer sure be getting one.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was dead set against them for the first few years of my adult life. In the National Guard age 26-37 I was forced to take them. After a few years I noticed I did not have a cold hardly ever. I don't know if it was related to the shots or not, but I still get them.

One theory about age and viruses is that you have been sick or exposed to more and more of what is common as you get older. So your odds of running into something you have not seen before, it less. The result is you are naturally less likely to get sick. So those shots might not be helping me, but 50-something.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Were I flying in a metal tube full of people who can't afford to put off the flight because the ticket cost so much, I'd fer sure be getting one.

Like a SkyVan or an Otter? ;)

A SkyVan isn't a tube, it's a box.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I was going to get one at work but when I stopped by the line was out the door. You wouldn't think it would take that long. So now I'm going to need to slide by the grocery store and get it there. Maybe I'll do that today, actually...

Herd immunity and all that. I've got one the last few years. I usually get the flu or some cold anyway, but it's milder than it would have been otherwise. My room mate got the flu last year and was miserable for about a month.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Getting a flu shot is quite a good idea for a number of people. Being an asthmatic I get my shot every year and noticed no side effects apart from a lightly sore delta muscle in my right shoulder.
Other risk groups are people 60+ etc. Have a look here.
This year's vaccine's mix is considerably different from that the years before, that might be a reason why flu vaccination is a little more advertised?
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Very interesting hour long talk on the radio this AM, it seems this years virus is a major mutation from the last few years and could get to be a serious issue.

I've never gotten the flu that everyone complains about...not much CAN live in what passes for blood in me i guess! :D

Giving it some serious thought though after listening to that program...I didn't realize that there is also a 'morning after' shot one can get when they feel it coming on.

Didn't get flu in the 1957 epidemic (only kid in my class to avoid it)

Didn't get flu in the 1968-69 epidemic.

Didn't get flu in the 1977-78 epidemic.

I just don't seem to get flu.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

They said on the program that 'some' people just have strong natural immunities, and that as we get older have have been exposed to the different flu strains it can get even stronger.

You must be one of those...B|

I get an occasional 'cold' but not the flu that keeps ya down a few days...SO FAR anyway! ;)

I get one every year. I work with a fair amount of people with health problems or compromised immunity. I am not worried about getting the flu myself as I am young and healthy and although it might make me miserable for a few days I would be OK. I don't want to be responsible for passing it on to people who could have much more dire consequences. It helps to work gives it to me for free each year.

Anyhow, you might want to think about being around other, more vulnerable people.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Got it this year for the first time since the beginning of college.

1) It was required since I volunteer in a hospital. 2) I'm pregnant.

I still have a bruise on my arm from the shot (got it over a month ago), but otherwise haven't had any problems with it. I'll probably continue to get the shot (well the mist, since that's what most military hospitals offer to non-preggos) in future years.

They said on the program that 'some' people just have strong natural immunities, and that as we get older have have been exposed to the different flu strains it can get even stronger.

I've heard Twardo still carries immunity to the Black Death.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've heard Twardo still carries immunity to the Black Death.

I heard he made huge bucks as a cart-loader.

Don

That was a GREAT job...paid an arm & a leg!! :)

"I'm not dead yet."
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I've heard Twardo still carries immunity to the Black Death.

I heard he made huge bucks as a cart-loader.

Don

That was a GREAT job...paid an arm & a leg!! :)

"I'm not dead yet."

I'm not DONE yet! :P

Just got my 18th flu shot, been getting them every year since I turned forty (my dad advised me to start getting them). Since then, I have had no wintertime pounding headaches, blowing it out both ends, "just let me die in peace" sicknesses.

It slays me how many people will miss a week at work, then come back and report the horrors they've endured. But if I suggest they get a flu shot next year, they invariably tell me, "Oh, I NEVER get a flu shot !" To which I can only answer, "Well, apparently not !"

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

There's something like 1000 strains of flu, from what I've heard. Six months ago the drug companies took a guess at what was coming this winter. They throw 5 or 6 strains in the mix and sell it. I'm a bettin' man and would never bet on anything with those odds.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

There's something like 1000 strains of flu, from what I've heard. Six months ago the drug companies took a guess at what was coming this winter. They throw 5 or 6 strains in the mix and sell it. I'm a bettin' man and would never bet on anything with those odds.

If you win the bet, you avoid days of misery.
So if you lose the bet, you spent $20 on a flu shot.
Not a huge downside.

Yep! I never had a flu shot and don't intend to. The protection it offers is pretty minimal and the benefit/risk ratio is, in my opinion, not favourable.

In case one thinks that flu shots are reliably safe, you all may want to check this October 9 report by Alliance for Natural Health. They always look behind the scenes to report the real truth on important health topics.

"It is not widely known, but the program has issued decisions in favor of plaintiffs who were hurt by the flu vaccine. These included very serious complaints such as Guillain-Barre Syndrome, acute demyelinating encephalomyelitis, encephalopathy, ventricular fibrillation and cardiac arrest, transverse myelitis, or some combination of these. In these cases, they received monetary settlements, but the vast majority of the decisions mandated the stipulation that “the Respondent (the government) denies injury/death was caused-in-fact by vaccination.”

The following article is about health-care providers, but it does apply to us all.

http://www.anh-usa.org/flu-sho-forced-on-health-workers/
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I have had the flu twice in the last six years...both after getting a flu shot because my wife wanted me too. Refused last year and low and behold I didn't get the flu. For me putting the flu virus in my body In the hopes of kick starting my immunity did the opposite. Won't be doing that again.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.