Meteor?

Turn audio volume down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b0cRHsApzt8

There are several other videos on youtube showing what looks like the same event.

http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

This sounds like BS:

"According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers."

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

...the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk.

Yes, that would be complete and utter non-sense.

Bolides explode all by themselves and it would be virtually impossible to launch an intercept with the zero notice the military would have by any technology anyone currently has.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I wonder if that had happened here would our nukes have launched in response?

I'd certainly toss that football.
Where should we target?

Alabama! B|

Texas!! >:(:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It already has happened, but with no nukes fired.

I recall a fairly large one over SoCal in the 60s. What I find interesting is think people recognized it for what it was back then and didn't jump to wild speculation.
quade -

If a meteor came over a city? I'd hope not... and where'd you aim for - the Kaipur belt? ;-)

No no. I think back in the day under the psychology of Mutual Assured Destruction our nukes would launch automatically if they were threatened. Launch at their targets...not at the meteor. :S
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

"And so, because of the automated and irrevocable decision-making process which rules out human meddling, the Doomsday machine is terrifying and simple to understand... and completely credible and convincing. Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, eh?

MEIN FUHRER! I CAN WALK!"

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I saw the Park Forest meteorite in 2003 (Park Forest is about 5 miles from my house). That was very impressive with a very loud boom that shook the windows, but tiny compared to this event.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If a meteor came over a city? I'd hope not... and where'd you aim for - the Kaipur belt? ;-)

No no. I think back in the day under the psychology of Mutual Assured Destruction our nukes would launch automatically if they were threatened. Launch at their targets...not at the meteor. :S

"Would you like to play a GAME?" :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why does the serious shit always seem to be in Siberia?
Can't be coincidence.

Confirmation bias.

The reality is, the serious shit happens all over the planet. When it comes to meteors the evidence is usually subtle due to erosion, but in some cases it's not.

There's a great example in Arizona.
http://www.meteorcrater.com/
quade -

So for all the times people have ranted "You're more likely to be hit by a meteor than win the Powerball!..."

There are now several hundred people on the wrong side of that equation. Does that mean my individual chances of winning the lottery have gone up? :P

Elvisio "off to buy a two dollar dream" Rodriguez

Why does the serious shit always seem to be in Siberia?
Can't be coincidence.

Confirmation bias.

Oh, I don't think so. I think there's an actual plan.

investmentwatchblog.com/breaking-meteor-crash-this-time-in-cuba/

Three times - it IS enemy action!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What I'm wondering about is if the last time 2012DA14 passed by Earth a few chunks didnt get torn off and ended up making a train of objects similar to what hit Jupiter with comet Shoemaker.

That while we are now confident about 2012DA14 and all known objects like it, there may turn out to be smaller leading and trailing debris we should consider as well with very large ones that are projected to come close but we know aren't going to hit.
quade -

What I'm wondering about is if the last time 2012DA14 passed by Earth a few chunks didnt get torn off and ended up making a train of objects similar to what hit Jupiter with comet Shoemaker.

That while we are now confident about 2012DA14 and all known objects like it, there may turn out to be smaller leading and trailing debris we should consider as well with very large ones that are projected to come close but we know aren't going to hit.

That's what THEY want us to think. It's the perfect cover.