Nataly

If I had kids...

I would do my damndest to ensure they learn to play a musical instrument. I HATED practicing the piano when I was a kid. For a number of reasons, I haven't touched a piano in ages... I'd always dreamt of playing guitar so on a whim, I bought a one a couple of years ago... I can now pick up a song I like and learn to play it reasonably well within a couple of hours. :)
Lucky for me, my village is practically deserted, so I don't have to worry about bothering my neighbours with my horrible singing!!! :D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I agree. I told both of my kids they had to learn an instrument, in addition to trying sports and belonging to social clubs. They both took piano lessons and practiced on the piano I learned on, and they both played in middle school bands. I think you learn to appreciate music in a whole new way when participating instead of just listening.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think that is a good idea in theory.

My parents made me take violin lessons for several years as a kid, but I never got anywhere close to proficient, nor did I ever retain any reading of music. However, since then, I have begun to realize that I am one of those few who are most likely tone deaf, and I'm absolutely beat deaf. [:/]

Music is just not very important to me. I don't listen to it unless I'm in a car. I don't listen to it when I paint either, :D I must be the only artist that does't listen to music while creating. :S

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I think that is a good idea in theory.

My parents made me take violin lessons for several years as a kid, but I never got anywhere close to proficient, nor did I ever retain any reading of music. However, since then, I have begun to realize that I am one of those few who are most likely tone deaf, and I'm absolutely beat deaf. [:/]

Music is just not very important to me. I don't listen to it unless I'm in a car. I don't listen to it when I paint either, :D I must be the only artist that does't listen to music while creating. :S

There are probably a lot of factors here... If you were made to practice consistantly (ie: about half an hour EVERY day at first and then more like an hour every day), you would read music like you read books... If your parents were musically inclined and helped you to practice, that would also help a lot. If you naturally had rythme, that would help... But if you started around 4 years old (like we all did in my family), you would never be able to know whether you naturally had a good ear/rythme or if it was learnt at a very early age.

I think when you are extremely young, you learn music like you learn a language. That is to say, with a lot less effort. Perhaps one or several of these things did not work in your favour... Or perhaps you are one of the rare people who are tone deaf... But your intelligence with language (I read most of your posts) would suggest otherwise.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I'm with you, Nat. I learned to play piano as a kid but only up to a minimal level (Grade 3 or 4, I think) and it was a constant battle for my parents to get me to practise. It was a privilege that few of my friends enjoyed, but it doesn't always feel like it when you're that age. Eventually they gave up and stopped paying for lessons.

I've retained an interest, though, playing in bands and collaborating with friends over the years to produce songs. I do have a good ear and creative flair - I just wished those damned lessons and the associated daily practice hadn't felt like such a chore, because I'd like to be able to play really well!

Oh yeah, *really* resented practicing when I was young, but now I can spend all day trying to learn something and I don't even see the time go by!!! I'm so thankful for the groundwork I already have, because without it I'm certain learning the guitar at age 30 would have been pretty much impossible.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I bought a miniature violin for my two girls. They like playing it for about 3 minutes. Then I turn on Rock Band, and we jam for about an hour :D Well, they are playing "instruments" and singing, so I hope it gives them a love of music. I'm hoping to graduate them to more formal instruction as they get older.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

AND, then there are the golden years!

Those are the years between 16 and 21. They can earn their keep by being DDs! B|

Ooooh yeah! Still have one around for that. B|

My parents didn't think music was important so to this day I'm musically inept. [:/] We were a hard science kind of family.

If you were made to practice consistantly (ie: about half an hour EVERY day at first and then more like an hour every day), you would read music like you read books...

Unfortunately, while I was technically ok at playing the piano, I could never sightread the notes... I inadvertently grew up memorizing where to glaze my fingers for every single piece, and moved through the grades by banking on perfect Aural scores, but I'll never forget the embarrassment during the sightreading portion of the grade 6 test.[:/] After which, I figured there was no point in obtaining the grade 7 or 8 certificate if I couldn't really play anything without a month of prior practice.

The theory tests were strangely fun for me though!

What're "DDs" anyway???

AND, then there are the golden years!

Those are the years between 16 and 21. They can earn their keep by being DDs! B|

Ooooh yeah! Still have one around for that. B|

My parents didn't think music was important so to this day I'm musically inept. [:/] We were a hard science kind of family.

I have always had hesitation on that one.

Does he know how much insurance y'all have?:ph34r::o:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Does he know how much insurance y'all have?:ph34r::o:P

Heck, Brett's been packing for me for YEARS, He never needed a set of car keys to kill me. :P

Kill?

Nooooo.

Severly Disable - Aflac PAYS BABY!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun