sfzombie13

female travel in cambodia

i have a friend who is a midwife and she had the chance to take a volunteer job in cambodia. my first reaction was go for it, it's not that dangerous anymore. but then again, i'm not a female whose 50. i was looking for opinions from anyone who has visited recently, mainly on whether it's safe, but if there is anything she should stay away from, that would be nice to know. thanx.

I went to Angkor Wat by myself in 2006 and didn't have any problems, but I was only there a couple of days and stayed at a nicer hotel.

I also traveled alone in Guatemala for a week no problem, but have heard awful stories from a number of women assigned there with the Peace Corp. So, I think sometimes what matters is what environment someone is operating in. As a midwife she may be in more dangerous situations than I was as a tourist.

Muffie

I went to Angkor Wat by myself in 2006 and didn't have any problems, but I was only there a couple of days and stayed at a nicer hotel.

I also traveled alone in Guatemala for a week no problem, but have heard awful stories from a number of women assigned there with the Peace Corp. So, I think sometimes what matters is what environment someone is operating in. As a midwife she may be in more dangerous situations than I was as a tourist.

If I may interject this thought (and I'm probably going to get a ration): A woman of 50 may be safer traveling alone than a woman in her 20s or 30s, or her 60s and beyond.

Right or wrong, she is less a potential target as a sexual victim, but yet is strong enough to be a deterrent to potential assault, theft, abduction, and otherwise general badness.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

sfzombie13

i have a friend who is a midwife and she had the chance to take a volunteer job in cambodia. my first reaction was go for it, it's not that dangerous anymore. but then again, i'm not a female whose 50. i was looking for opinions from anyone who has visited recently, mainly on whether it's safe, but if there is anything she should stay away from, that would be nice to know. thanx.

Unless your friend is leaving tomorrow, she should have plenty of time to exercise due dilligence on the net. So shes prepared for her adventure

A routine check with the american embassy state department for travel advisory, exit strategy, ransom situatiom, are some parts of cambodia more challenging than others, due to Mcnastys, land mines etc.

Social networking., facebook tweet the more info the better.

BTW the wife and enjoy watching the weekly brit midwives show on the telly.
One Jump Wonder

thanx to all for the replies. i was thinking as well that as she is just a tad older, she would be a bit safer. very wonderful woman who was a hippie in the late 60's, she actually gave birth to her 3 children on the farm in tn. and the first thing i told her was to check the places you mentioned regarding travel advisories. the main reason for posting here was to get any firsthand accounts of people who actually may have visited the area.

my limited research shows me that it is much safer now than in the past, but i wouldn't bet a good friend's safety on internet searches. and then there is the danger of inadvertently running afoul of local laws or customs. she may decide not to go, her son is telling her it's not safe, but her daughters are all for it. i told her to be very careful and not too trusting and to learn a bit of the language first.

I have a couple female friends who have traveled there by themselves with no issues, just lots of fun stories. But just as with anywhere you travel, they should always remain alert. Westerners can be a greater target for thieves... so excess money and electronics should be kept out of sight. Police will usually side with locals, so try to avoid trouble. If she finds a good taxi driver, get his card. If she tips reasonably well, he can be a good resource not simply for transportation, but also for useful info. Travel, as with so many things, is safe so long as you keep your head on your shoulders and take due precautions.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?