airtime1

What to do with old Parachutist and Skydiving Mags

I've saved these since 1980, at one time my most valued possession, now just weight and taking up space. Reality suggests I will never have the time or desire to go back and look at any of them. What have some of you seasoned jumpers done to lighten the load? Recycle, garbage (gasp), DZ bonfire?

Kind of sad really, filed by years with place markers and notes sticking out. Hardly remember how I used to live to get them every month.

Hi Rob,
Funny thing you should mention that!! My stack of mags went back to '64!! I kept a bunch from my early years and some "Specials." Gave the rest to Kate and Tony at Raeford. Let the newbies see what the Sport was like "Back When!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

skybill

Hi Rob,
Funny thing you should mention that!! My stack of mags went back to '64!! I kept a bunch from my early years and some "Specials." Gave the rest to Kate and Tony at Raeford. Let the newbies see what the Sport was like "Back When!!"

My collection only went back to 68 with a couple of older ones I picked up along the way.

Smart minds think a like almost. I kept a few that were special to us and recyled the rest.

A few of the young ones might be curious, but in reality if its not on utube, or they don't have to pay some to hold their hand. Their to busy.

No big they want hollywood they got hollywood, with all the associated costs benifits and grief, wondering if their reserve is going to come out of their B| looking container.

R.
One Jump Wonder

If you are a bit creative and have the time.........
Scan all the covers and using free program software, make a massive picture mosaic of something skydiving related (like a flying canopy) and put it up on the wall at home or donate it to the DZ.
http://www.mosaickr.com/
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

Take them to the DZ and put them out.

I did this with a bunch of boogie t-shirts and the newbies grabbed them up in seconds.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What airtwardo said, but split them, so you can give them a many schools, and reach a bigger audience.

I had inspiration from a calendar in my dads garage, from when I was about 3. His airforce calendar, with a 10way flat formation on the one month.

I still got that page of the calendar, now hanging in my garage.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

grimmie

I'll trade you some jump tickets for them!

I have old magazines from about '91 at the DZ for everyone to read on crummy weather days.

Grimmie

If I still had my 40 yr collection of uspa mags, I'd be more than happy to donate them free of charge. Pay it forward etc It's what jumpers used to do. Just like jumping with a student for free. Training them to pack for free. Etc

T shirts, there are lots of older jumpers that have a collection of jumping t shirts that will never fit us again. The t shirts over 20, 30 yrs just shrink on their own.

I offered one to a young lady we were car pooling with to LP. It a nice shirt from a dz that no longer exists.

She looked at the graphics then told me thanks but no thanks, she only wore womens T shirts:o:S.

I'm not jumping anymore but I'm not going to donate jumping t shirts that
someone is going to sell on ebay for 100 % profit or have a barbie doll turn her
Nose down every time because its not girlie enough[:/]

R

I
Having to offer free lift tickets as a incentive for donations of old mags is in my opinion continuing the new normal in jumping. Students pay for everthing on the pay as you go plan.

Btw Im sorry but i would have requested you to pay the postage.
One Jump Wonder