quade

"Elysium" by Neill Blomkamp

billvon

>i agree. class warfare: rich vs. poor.

You've just eliminated about half the SF movies produced by Hollywood . . . .

you can make a good science fiction movie (or book) without preaching...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

***>i agree. class warfare: rich vs. poor.

"Preaching" is subjective.

Is "Nineteen Eighty Four" preaching?
What about "Animal Farm"?
What about "War of the Worlds"?
What about "Frankenstein"?
What about "Max Headroom"?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ianmdrennan

There were aspects of District 9 that I enjoyed a great deal, but I found that work to be not simply heavy-handed, but disproportionately representing the negative qualities of humanity.

I dunno. I actually lived through apartheid - the underpinnings of the movie. I found it to be bang of the money for portraying the negative qualities of humanity.

I still find District 9 a poignant commentary on South Africa in the 70's-90's

I agree with you - I think you'd have to be fairly naive, even for a Canadian, to think District Nine showed a disproportionate amount of negative qualities. Then again, some people live in a fantasy world of puffy clouds and pink unicorns...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

So you think that the sum total of human nature is nothing but misery and hatred? I guess I must live in a fantasy world... I happen to know plenty of people who are pretty decent, compassionate, helpful and non-judgmental.
skypuppy

There were aspects of District 9 that I enjoyed a great deal, but I found that work to be not simply heavy-handed, but disproportionately representing the negative qualities of humanity.

I dunno. I actually lived through apartheid - the underpinnings of the movie. I found it to be bang of the money for portraying the negative qualities of humanity.

I still find District 9 a poignant commentary on South Africa in the 70's-90's

I agree with you - I think you'd have to be fairly naive, even for a Canadian, to think District Nine showed a disproportionate amount of negative qualities. Then again, some people live in a fantasy world of puffy clouds and pink unicorns...
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

>you can make a good science fiction movie (or book) without preaching...

I think the power of science fiction is that, more than any other genre of fiction, you can pose the "what if?" question and explore how different decisions affect the future. And while there are books that pose that question ONLY for science (i.e. Robert Forward's books) the best SF poses social questions.

A Clockwork Orange - what if you could really "fix" criminals?
Elysium - what if the separation between classes becomes even wider?
2001 - what if we're not alone in the universe?
The Matrix - what if the "real world" you live in is nothing of the sort?
Starship Troopers - what if we organized society around the military?

Even Star Wars, a movie that tries to avoid any tough social questions, plays on the age-old theme of "what if government becomes so corrupt and evil that you have to fight back?" Interestingly there was a scene in Episode III that would not have raised eyebrows when it first came out back in the 1980's that _was_ disparaged by many because they saw parallels between the US government's increasing militancy after 9/11 and the takeover of the Senate by Palpatine. Many people were more sensitive to that because of the political climate, not because the message was a mistake, and not because the movie got too "preachy." Take away the US's stance at the time and no one would have noticed.

Some people are more sensitive to others to those questions and will see it as "preaching" but such questions are, to me, what makes good science fiction.

quade

******>i agree. class warfare: rich vs. poor.

"Preaching" is subjective.

Is "Nineteen Eighty Four" preaching?
What about "Animal Farm"?
What about "War of the Worlds"?
What about "Frankenstein"?
What about "Max Headroom"?

I never saw max headroom, but the answer to the other books is 'no'... Precisely because they're 'good' books. They don't have to preach. A 'good' book can get the point across without being preachy.

billvon

>you can make a good science fiction movie (or book) without preaching...

I think the power of science fiction is that, more than any other genre of fiction, you can pose the "what if?" question and explore how different decisions affect the future. And while there are books that pose that question ONLY for science (i.e. Robert Forward's books) the best SF poses social questions.

A Clockwork Orange - what if you could really "fix" criminals?
Elysium - what if the separation between classes becomes even wider?
2001 - what if we're not alone in the universe?
The Matrix - what if the "real world" you live in is nothing of the sort?
Starship Troopers - what if we organized society around the military?

Even Star Wars, a movie that tries to avoid any tough social questions, plays on the age-old theme of "what if government becomes so corrupt and evil that you have to fight back?" Interestingly there was a scene in Episode III that would not have raised eyebrows when it first came out back in the 1980's that _was_ disparaged by many because they saw parallels between the US government's increasing militancy after 9/11 and the takeover of the Senate by Palpatine. Many people were more sensitive to that because of the political climate, not because the message was a mistake, and not because the movie got too "preachy." Take away the US's stance at the time and no one would have noticed.

Some people are more sensitive to others to those questions and will see it as "preaching" but such questions are, to me, what makes good science fiction.

I'm well aware of the history of science fiction, I've taken courses on it too. I maintain, as in my last post, if you write 'good' science fiction you don't need to preach. The moment you have to preach, the story is weak. Good science fiction speaks for itself...

> Good science fiction speaks for itself...

Definitely agreed. But some see preaching where others do not. Heck, at least a few columnists and protesters thought Prometheus was preaching about abortion, of all things. Might seem silly but that was their "hot button" so that's what they saw.

billvon

But some see preaching where others do not.

Including "devil worship" in works such as "Harry Potter."

I don't think a story having a point to it is ever the reason to avoid it, but instead it's the reason stories are told to begin with. The issue is some people don't want to hear stories that challenge their current world view. That's cool; different strokes...unless those they also want to prevent others from hearing them.
quade -

Loved District-9 and went to the flix last night and saw Elysium .. Fantastic .. Blomkamp.. he d'man!! and Damon did an excellent job of work. Sharlto Copley was a brilliant baddie

Yes there are a few problem areas but WTF it's FILM, it's entertainment and it entertained me .. lots ....

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It was good science fiction. EXCELLENT visuals. I particularly liked that the "good guy" in District 9 was the "bad guy" in this movie. He played the roll well. Matt Damon did a good job, too. There were some parts of the "science" that were a bit too much of a reach, but I liked the show.

Anyone see Oblivion? I thought that was a great movie as well.

Chuck

I particularly liked that the "good guy" in District 9 was the "bad guy" in this movie.

Directors tend to cast people they've enjoyed success with previously. That's always made sense to me. Coen Brothers and John Goodman for instance.

Anyone see Oblivion? I thought that was a great movie as well.

Yep. Agree. I think that's my favorite science fiction piece so far this year even if I did have a few minor squabbles with it.
quade -

I saw the movie last night and I really enjoyed it. Kruger was a real badass and I will never look at "Jan-Pierewiet", the song he sang, the same again. I saw a lot of parallels with what I see in SA at the moment and yes I see it every day when I drive to work past the shacks, similar to what was seen in district 9. Unfortunately you need to see and experience what these people actually go thorough in SA to really accept this movie.

My 5c