kallend

Coincidence or enemy action?

Compare the picture of this Spirit Airlines Airbus from this week:

www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Plane-Returns-to-OHare-After-Engine-Housing-Detaches-231295381.html

With this one from 2004 (you'll need to scroll down several posts to see the picture).

www.ityt.com/forums/f86/engine-cowling-separation-2260.html

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Andy9o8

Hmm. The components of those two engines do look suspiciously similar.

Looks like the cowling was left unlocked again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Plane-Returns-to-OHare-After-Engine-Housing-Detaches-231295381.html

With this one from 2004 (you'll need to scroll down several posts to see the picture).

They look like different engines.?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So what are you trying to get at? The cowls were left unlatched again. Not the first and won't be the last. It had also happened to JetBlue a few years ago here at Newark. Both cowls came off, hit the horizontal stab and littered the runway. Took them almost a month to fix it.

I blame the techs for not latching the damn things and the sorry ass pilot for a piss poor walk around. If I remember I can take some pic's of what the cowls look like unlocked. The latches hang down and are CLEARLY visible.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

kallend

Oh darn.. they did not get a piccie of the perpetrator.... http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vJ-iH09QguA/TeTAvnKeegI/AAAAAAAAANc/SOUISAJMP8w/s1600/Gremlin005a.png

The airline will be compelled to come up with "safeguards" to prevent it from happening again.

You can see them unlatched. So then they paint them Bright orange so they are more visible and this still happens. Don't know what else they can do short of putting some complex and expensive prox switches on the damn thing. This is nothing a good pre-flight cant prevent.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Rookie120

This is nothing a good pre-flight cant prevent.

My point exactly -but- the airlines will rattle the cages up and down the chains of command of both maintenance and flight crews. Both will have to write reports, develop methods or "systems" to prevent this or similar. People will squirm and writhe uncomfortably to come up with something new and in the end... it'll happen again.