groundpounder

how does one reline

Can people give me a clue as to how a relining is accomplished? It sounds like a line set is purchased and it's set according to the application. If this is so, I'd figure a resourceful person could figure how to attach it to the bottom-skin, risers....But then again, it seems like everyone needing a reline sends it to the mfg.er or their rigger. So, what am I missing. I am hungry for knowledge.

I have seen it done in person... (on a Precision canopy) all the lines are premeasured and tagged as to placement on the canopy. Remove old lines, attach new ones (hopefully in the right place) :P

Personally, I would just send mine in and have the pros do it and give the canopy a thorough inspection while they were at it.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Yes a resourceful person could probably figure it out but I wouldn't recommend it.
If you really want to do it do it under the supervision of a rigger.
When you get the bundles of lines and have a canopy in front of you, it is not going to look as easy as one might think.
You could probably pack your own reserve too and it could work, but why risk it.

Also, you would need a good bar-tack machine. Knowledge of line-continuity and recommended length by the manufacturer of the finger-trapped end of the line. The process can be a bit frustrating the first time around and hard to re-do. A rigger or the manufacturer is your best bet

Chuck

thanks everyone
so the lines are labeled...that's what I thought was the case. I mean, so are cables on my vcr, but that don't mean the picture comes up first time I try to play something! I guess there is a good margin for f**king up here. thanks for all the responses so far...
full and plare ;)

It can be done by starting with a spool of line, and making the lines yourself (which I have done many times), but most riggers would say it isn't worth the hassle compared to buying a pre-made set from the manufacturer. It only takes a couple of hours to install a pre-made set.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

The bar-tack is sewn to hold the finger-trapped end of the line in place. Some manufacturers may require the finger-trapped end of the line be a certain length (4" - 6" possibly). Line continuity is the proper placement of each line on the connector link.

Chuck