soarfree

Z1 "soft touch" fullface helmet - opinions?

Hi all,

Anyone have the soft touch z1? I'm thinking about buying one, but I have not found much online regarding this particular helmet finish.

Has anyone noticed more/less scratching or issues with this soft touch coating? Would you recommend it? Thanks.

Blue skies,

AJ

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I would strongly recommend trying on a few different types of helmets before you plunk down your money and buy one. Helmets are expensive and the different brands fit different people differently. I personally find my Oxygen way more comfortable than the same sized Z1 (although I do like the look of the "soft touch" finish). Other people will tell you the exact opposite! You are lucky enough to jump at a large dz with a well sticked gear shop. Take advantage!

The soft touch paint is just as durable as any of the other paints.

I disagree. I've seen more then one soft touch helmet start peeling and look like ass after only a couple hundred jumps. The two folks I'm thinking of both kept their helmets in helmet bags and took care of them, both of them were NOT happy with the fact they paid extra for the "cool" finish and it crapped out on them.

Maybe its that Texas humidity killing the soft touch?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've seen more then one soft touch helmet start peeling and look like ass after only a couple hundred jumps.

and

The soft touch paint is just as durable as any of the other paints.

:D

My opinion of the Z-1 isn't all that high.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be sure to try on the helmets as well.

JP - What is your favorite full face helmet and why? Can you tell me why you think the Z1 offers minimal protection and recommend a more protective helmet for RW? Thanks.

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

The Skysystem line of helmets is nice and has good protection Factory Diver Oxygn and Oxgyn A3. They take forever to get in custom colors though.

I don't wear full face any more so Bonehead is my company of choice. Two of their current full faces, the Boomerang and the Havok work, but I'm not a huge fan. They will be coming out with a new full face with a flip up visor in the next month or so, and it's cool. I like it. The Rat Hat from Bone head is the one I'd get right now if I wanted a full face, but it doesn't have a visor, which is ok for me as I wear goggle with full face helmets anyway.

The Z1 is a molded plastic shell, the other's I've listed are carbon fiber or fibreglass composites.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

They will be coming out with a new full face with a flip up visor in the next month or so, and it's cool. I like it.

Ooooooooh - any pictures??? I am going to be in the market for a full face come the holiday boogie....
Never try to eat more than you can lift