skydiver2113

AFF completion

This may already be a thread, but I was wondering if you completed your aff in a dropzone in a different state (for example, Texas), would you have to perform a practice jump with an instructor at a dz in another state (for example Tennessee) or would you just be able to show them your license and jump alone with out an instructor?

Completing AFF does NOT equal having a license to jump solo. AFF "grads" remain students until licensed. Therefore, you will have to do at the new DZ whatever the new DZ chief instructor wants. Completion of AFF results in clearance to "self supervise in freefall, under USPA instructor supervision".

A license requires 25 jumps and a lot of other knowledge and skills, a test and a check jump.

This is exactly why I HATE the term "graduation" with regard to AFF. AFF is simply phase one of the student process.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Completion of AFF results in clearance to "self supervise in freefall, under USPA instructor supervision".

And the definition of "under uspa instructor supervision" is having a uspa instructor on the premises of the drop zone at the time of the jump, not necessarily in the plane, correct?
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

does it have to be 25? I was looking at a program that could get me certified in 23 and apply for my A license. Once I do have my A license though will I be free to jump with out an instructor at another dz?

There is one set of requirements for a USPA Class A license and the jump number requirement is 25.

Edited to add ... Call the out of state DZ that you're talking about and tell them your situation. If you're cleared for self supervision, but still lacking a USPA Class A license, they still may allow you to make solo jumps, prior to obtaining your Class A license. I did, but you might as well be working towards your A license.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)

Agreed!
Which is why CSPA issues "SOLO" Certificates to PFF graduates, but they need to continue working on their skills until they can write to "A" Certificate after 25 jumps.
The SOLO certificate only allows them to jump alone - at their home DZ - without an instructor.
However, if they want to complete their A Certificate - in a reasonable amount of time, they should hire coaches to teach them: packing, pre-jump planning, aircraft procedures, spotting, new freefall maneuvers, new landing patterns, de-briefing, etc.

Completion of AFF results in clearance to "self supervise in freefall, under USPA instructor supervision".

And the definition of "under uspa instructor supervision" is having a uspa instructor on the premises of the drop zone at the time of the jump, not necessarily in the plane, correct?

Correct.

does it have to be 25? I was looking at a program that could get me certified in 23 and apply for my A license. Once I do have my A license though will I be free to jump with out an instructor at another dz?

Almost everywhere you will be good to go solo with an A-license. There are a few exceptions for places with challenging LZs, or night jumps. Those may require a higher license.

Just to clarify, since the OP mentioned 23 specifically.

Some DZ's have an A license program, this is like a hybrid AFF/coached jump package in which you essentially pay for 23 jumps. Of these jumps, 16 are coached and one is a Hop n' Pop, leaving 5 solo jumps as a student.

In order to enter the program you must have 2 tandems. So, by the time you are done with the A license package, you have the equivalent of 25 jumps.

I'm going to take a guess (and probably wrong), but based off of TX and 23 A license package. You may be talking about Spaceland. If that is the case the 23 jump package will get you to your "A" license. You end with 25 jumps, the 23 jump "A" package is after 2 tandems which brings your total to 25.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

or would you just be able to show them your license and jump alone with out an instructor?

As someone else mentioned, You'll also need to show them your logbook to verify that you're current, and even then they have the right to ask you to jump with a coach or instructor if they want you to.

I showed up at a new DZ with about 30 jumps and only a few days shy of being un-current, and the DZO asked me to jump with an instructor anyway... I agreed expecting to pay for a jump with an instructor, then found out the DZO was paying for the instructor slot. He just wanted a little peice of mind I guess...

YMMV.
Owned by Remi #?

This may already be a thread, but I was wondering if you completed your aff in a dropzone in a different state (for example, Texas), would you have to perform a practice jump with an instructor at a dz in another state (for example Tennessee) or would you just be able to show them your license and jump alone with out an instructor?

Not just state-to-state but DZ-to-DZ, too.

To sum up...
After you get a license, you will have no trouble going almost anywhere and jump simply by showing your license. Yes, there are a couple of places that require a higher license but that's only because of the LZ or the event as mentioned by someone above.

Before you get a license it is standard USPA procedure, and most every DZ will do this, that you will be asked to jump with a local instructor or, and I dislike this, a coach to very your skills.

A logbook review, maybe even a call back to your original DZ and a requirement for you to at least demonstrate your EP knowledge will probably happen before you're allowed to jump.

Most places will charge you X number of dollars for the jump (I've seen anywhere up to $80) and some will do it for free. Call the new DZ for their requirements.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Curious, why do you dislike the idea of jumping with a coach to verify skills?
Also many here seem to have forgotten that a USPA D license holder may jump with an unlicensed skydiver who has been cleared to self-supervise. An instructor is not required as long as they can self-supervise.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Because a Coach nor an un-rated D-license holder has been trained to handle in-air emergencies. When an unlicensed and unknown jumper shows up one can never tell what his skills really are until the actual jump.

Someone who has been trained for wild-ass situations has a better chance of saving the day if things go haywire.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You mean your logbook?

I have been to one non-USPA dropzone that didn't want to even see my USPA license/documentation.

Why would they?

ya I believe it might be the same for me.(I may be incorrect) but I believe he dropzone in memphis TN is a non USPA dz. plus they may let me jump without seeing my license because I've already jumped there 4 times :)

It doesn't matter if they are USPA or NON-USPA ... If you've completed AFF and been cleared for self supervision, it doesn't necessarily mean that a USPA dz is going to tell you that you can't do a solo jump.

You mean your logbook?

I have been to one non-USPA dropzone that didn't want to even see my USPA license/documentation.

Why would they?

Because even though they don't participate in the "trade association" part of USPA, they think that validating a visiting jumper's credentials is a wise idea?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You mean your logbook?

Why would they?

Because even though they don't participate in the "trade association" part of USPA, they think that validating a visiting jumper's credentials is a wise idea?

Yeah exactly ... They want the USPA to validate credentials for them, but they don't want to participate in any other aspect of the USPA ... How nice of them.

Yeah exactly ... They want the USPA to validate credentials for them, but they don't want to participate in any other aspect of the USPA ... How nice of them.

The USPA has existed as an individual membership organization that issued credentials long before the group member program was added. It's not going to fall apart if the group member program goes away.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke