yoink

anyone here fly sailplanes / gliders?

It's something I've always loved the idea of doing and am thinking of giving it a try this coming year...

Anyone know if the currency / cost requirements are similar to skydiving, or is it something that you can do once or twice a month?

If anyone flies in the San Diego area I'll happily buy a couple of beers for you in exchange for a chat sometime...

yoink

It's something I've always loved the idea of doing and am thinking of giving it a try this coming year...

Anyone know if the currency / cost requirements are similar to skydiving, or is it something that you can do once or twice a month?

If anyone flies in the San Diego area I'll happily buy a couple of beers for you in exchange for a chat sometime...

I have a glider rating on my pilot license (which means that I'm allowed to carry passengers in a glider). Not current right now, though.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I looked into it as a BFR. (If you have a pilots license every two years you either have to take a review flight with an instructor, or if you get another rating it covers this).

Requirements: FOR INITIAL FAA RATING
* Minimum of 20 Instructional flights
* Minimum of 10 Solo flights
* Pass FAA Knowledge Test
* Pass FAA Check ride
Approximate cost $5,000.00

For me it would of been about half of that since I have a pilots license. I instead went and got a sea plane rating in two days for about half of the glider rating.

But the glider rating is on my list after I get my Inst, commercial and multi. But I have had several people tell me the glider rating is one of the most fun and will make me a better pilot.

These folks seem to be in the SD area
http://www.agcsc.org
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I've thought about the glider and SES ratings and may do them at some point.

Can't be any more difficult than the instrument stuff. :S

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I got my GPL over the summer, already have a PPL so it was cheap enough to pursue along with jumping.

It's defiantly something I want to go farther with. I've only done ridge soaring and hanging out by thermals within close proximity to the airfield. Cross country and mountain flying look sick and seem to be an interesting challenge.

The only thing I don't like about it is when there's 10 other gliders trying to get lift from the same spot, the only spot with lift. Especially with the guy that has an army green sailplane >:( Maybe I'll get used to it with time. Other than that I can't complain about being able to stay up in the air for a couple hours at a time on good soaring days. It's perfect.

Ron

I am doing Inst now, and yeah, I hate myself

I know that feeling quite well.

My checkride was my easiest flight in the whole IR process... so, keep that in mind. B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Yep, you can get the glider first if you want, you don't need a medical either.

There's no requirement to have another license before you get it, same thing with balloons. ;)

theonlyski

Yep, you can get the glider first if you want, you don't need a medical either.

There's no requirement to have another license before you get it, same thing with balloons. ;)

That was recently my cryptonite. Why I didn't do it when I was younger and my Dad had the plane, I'll never know. Kicking myself now. [:/]
Always be kinder than you feel.

I did some tandem hang glider flight training in the 90's. That was about as easy as AFF was. If you're not too picky about about what you're gliding on, that might be an option. Seems like a lot of the hang gliders guys went over to paragliding, though.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

My original Private license was: Glider - Aero-tow only.
Then I added the SEL to the ticket some months later.

I had some unforgettable adventures in the glider;:o Things that could not have happened in a powered plane.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LuckyMcSwervy

***Yep, you can get the glider first if you want, you don't need a medical either.

That was recently my cryptonite. Why I didn't do it when I was younger and my Dad had the plane, I'll never know. Kicking myself now. [:/]

You can also do light sport without a medical. It, in theory, only requires 20 hours.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

******Yep, you can get the glider first if you want, you don't need a medical either.

You can also do light sport without a medical. It, in theory, only requires 20 hours.

Someone just told me that. Unfortunately, the same reasons I've haven't been jumping are the same reasons I couldn't get in the cockpit with a clear conscience right now. [:/]
Always be kinder than you feel.

theonlyski

*** I am doing Inst now, and yeah, I hate myself

I know that feeling quite well.

My checkride was my easiest flight in the whole IR process... so, keep that in mind. B|

Mine too. Most of my inst. training was in strong gusty wind conditions. The day of the checkride was calm. I did no end of ADF approaches in training (!!!!) but didn't get one on the checkride (Did have an intersection hold with ADF fix though).

Now, with an IFR certified GPS, it's almost easy and I haven't had anything except "cleared direct" to destination in several years.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Now, with an IFR certified GPS, it's almost easy and I haven't had anything except "cleared direct" to destination in several years.

I practically have to beg to fly a full approach with a procedure turn. They always prefer to give mr vectors to final.

It's easier than they made it seem. :D