davjohns

British violinist to represent Thailand in giant slolom at Olympics

Andy9o8

Sigh.

So what do you call the last-place finisher in the Olympic Women's Giant Slalom Alpine Skiing event who finished 50 seconds slower than the winner of the race and 11 seconds slower than the 2nd to last place competitor?

Slow ... :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Andy9o8

Sigh.

So what do you call the last-place finisher in the Olympic Women's Giant Slalom Alpine Skiing event who finished 50 seconds slower than the winner of the race and 11 seconds slower than the 2nd to last place competitor?

Exactly.

:D
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Just curious, have you actually watched the races?

I just finished watching the 1st run of the Men's Giant Slalom race which had 109 competitors. The race leader from the USA Ted Ligety is kicking everyone's rear end with a huge lead. The only person who can beat Ligety is Ligety himself. But the top 50 skiers are all outstanding skiers. Even the top 80 of 109 were good skiers. But it starts getting a little ugly talent and safety wise after that. There are so many racers and such little time to get the race in that the race organizers were sending the skiers down the course at 30 second intervals. If someone crashes (and yes there was crashes) you have skiers stacking on top of each other. That's not safe. On top of that the race organizers only have 90 minutes to tear down the 1st course, set a new course, have all the racers inspect it and start the 2nd run. This is not how World Cup races are run, so why the Olympic gong show? So that rich University students or well connected musicians from around the globe can brag that they are Olympians to their friends? There were about 30 men and another 20 women who really don't belong out there. Watch the woman who finished 55th 10 seconds per run off the winner's time and then watch this British musician who was 25 seconds per run off the winner's time and you tell me what the difference is between the two skiers. Oh and this British musician isn't the worst skier out there. A male skier from Venezuela who started 109th was much worse. Apparently he is 43 years old, this is his first year as a competitive skier and here he is in the Olympics. WTF? Watch his run and you tell me that he belongs out there.

I was mistaken in an earlier post in this thread I made about the standards the FIS has. The FIS has extremely high standards when it comes to the World Cup, but they obviously throw these standards out the windows and will accept any amount of money to let rich people into some of the Olympic Alpine Skiing events.

Watch the races. Your opinion might just change. :S

Nope. Not a fan. That's why I didn't know the proper name for the event earlier.

The Olympics is supposed to be about international competition. If you start limiting who can compete, you are probably going to eliminate some countries altogether. That might cause some problems.

But, you seem to have a problem with the rules. Ok. Send in your suggestion to the IOC. Maybe they'll agree.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

It's like any other system; it can be gamed. People with dual citizenship have been doing it for years. There are qualifying rounds in some events, that can eliminate the lesser contenders. If you don't want to watch the lesser contenders, don't watch those rounds.

But consider a world without the Jamaican bobsled team :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

It's like any other system; it can be gamed. People with dual citizenship have been doing it for years. There are qualifying rounds in some events, that can eliminate the lesser contenders. If you don't want to watch the lesser contenders, don't watch those rounds.

But consider a world without the Jamaican bobsled team :ph34r:

Wendy P.

Bear in mind the Jamaican's earned their spot legitimately by meeting the minimum's at a World Cup event earlier.

Not a fan.

Not a problem. There are a number of sports I am not a fan of. But I am a huge fan of Alpine Ski Racing and I have immense respect for the guys and gals who compete on the White Circus (the World Cup). They are incredible talents, even the ones who bring up the rear. But this is not the World Cup. It wouldn't be as big of an issue if they only did one run. But it is more than just a case of saying "if you are not a fan of the slower racers, don't watch them". The Slalom and Giant Slalom events are comprised of two timed runs and course conditions deteriorate as the day warms up. The longer the event is allowed to progress, the faster the conditions deteriorate which effects the 2nd run of the event.

Vanessa Vanakorn is no different than some of these others. If she wasn't this World renowned musician with connections we wouldn't even be talking about this and this Olympics is no different than any of the other Olympics that preceded it. For years people who are not good enough to compete on the World Cup from non traditional winter sports nations have been buying their way into competition and when it comes to the IOC, they like taking in money.

Lots of sports federations give a "developmental spot" to countries without representation. I am assuming that Vanessa Vanakorn got a spot that way. I am generally OK with sports giving out a limited number of these spots as they are attempts to help a sport become established and developed in nations without tradition in the sport. Eric Moussambani representing Equatorial Guinea in Swimming is one renowned example but there are many others. Athletics (Track and field) lets any nation without a qualified athlete enter one athlete in every Olympic games.

I am less enthusiastic when the person in question is like Vanessa, somebody who lives outside of the country and is not part of an organic attempt to grow the sport inside of that country. It does indeed smack of high priced tourism.

I am also not enthusiastic about such participation where the presence of such unqualified people has a negative impact on the rest of the competition. Chewing up the course has a negative impact on other competitors.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

Lots of sports federations give a "developmental spot" to countries without representation. I am assuming that Vanessa Vanakorn got a spot that way. I am generally OK with sports giving out a limited number of these spots as they are attempts to help a sport become established and developed in nations without tradition in the sport. Eric Moussambani representing Equatorial Guinea in Swimming is one renowned example but there are many others. Athletics (Track and field) lets any nation without a qualified athlete enter one athlete in every Olympic games.

I am less enthusiastic when the person in question is like Vanessa, somebody who lives outside of the country and is not part of an organic attempt to grow the sport inside of that country. It does indeed smack of high priced tourism.

I am also not enthusiastic about such participation where the presence of such unqualified people has a negative impact on the rest of the competition. Chewing up the course has a negative impact on other competitors.

Hey someone I can agree with.

I am not against trying to develop talent in countries where talent does not traditionally exist. Maybe if the courses did not deteriorate the way they do in Alpine Skiing, allowing 90+ plus competitors into an event wouldn't be that big of deal. But the fact remains that the event organizers are time constrained and having three competitors on the course at the same time at 30 second intervals when in a normal World Cup event the worse it ever gets is two competitors on the course at the same time results in a bit of a gong show especially when these lessor developed skiers are much more likely to have an off than a more seasoned experienced World Cup competitor.

davjohns

Nope. Not a fan. That's why I didn't know the proper name for the event earlier.

The Olympics is supposed to be about international competition. If you start limiting who can compete, you are probably going to eliminate some countries altogether. That might cause some problems.

But, you seem to have a problem with the rules. Ok. Send in your suggestion to the IOC. Maybe they'll agree.

How'd you feel about it if, lets say swooping was an Olympic event. Then some country, for instance, Botswana would send some 200 jump wonder, half-citizen under Velo-90, fresh out of AFF, to 'represent' them.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Vanessa Vanakorn is no different than some of these others. If she wasn't this World renowned musician with connections we wouldn't even be talking about this and this Olympics is no different than any of the other Olympics that preceded it. For years people who are not good enough to compete on the World Cup from non traditional winter sports nations have been buying their way into competition and when it comes to the IOC, they like taking in money.

OK, I get that you want higher entry standards, but where do you get that entry standards are low because rich competitiors are bribing the IOC and FIS?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

OK, I get that you want higher entry standards, but where do you get that entry standards are low because rich competitiors are bribing the IOC and FIS?

Has anyone actually watched these races? If you watched the races you might get commentary from the announcers who will give you a little background info on most of the competitors. Where they are from, if they have any international competition experience. The common denominator for the vast majority of these unknown competitors who had never competed before at the international level was that they all attend University and in at least one case the guy was quoted as saying "I paid my own way to be here, correction my father paid for me to be here". How is it that so many people who have never competed before in a Europa Cup or Nor-Am Cup race (feeders for the World Cup) all of a sudden are competing at the Olympics? The answer is easy, it's called money ... lots and lots of money.

Please watch the races. You might just understand where I am coming from.

The common denominator for the vast majority of these unknown competitors who had never competed before at the international level was that they all attend University

Yeah, that's real suspicious.

and in at least one case the guy was quoted as saying "I paid my own way to be here, correction my father paid for me to be here".

Yeah, that's what a lot of low and mid level athletes without sponsorship or national funding say. Equipment is expensive. Training time is expensive. Travel is expensive. Competition is expensive. It doesn't get given away for free, someone has to pay for it.

How is it that so many people who have never competed before in a Europa Cup or Nor-Am Cup race (feeders for the World Cup) all of a sudden are competing at the Olympics?

Because the rules are different. For better or worse, the Olympics are designed to be more inclusive.

The answer is easy, it's called money ... lots and lots of money.

That's called bullshit. You're concocting a conspiracy.

Please watch the races. You might just understand where I am coming from.

I understand your concerns about entry standards. I don't understand your unsubstantiated allegations of bribery.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Arvoitus

***Nope. Not a fan. That's why I didn't know the proper name for the event earlier.

How'd you feel about it if, lets say swooping was an Olympic event. Then some country, for instance, Botswana would send some 200 jump wonder, half-citizen under Velo-90, fresh out of AFF, to 'represent' them.

The answer to your question, "How would you feel...", is that I would not care.

If you are saying that Botswana should not be able to choose who represents them when done within the IOC rules, I would object.

If you are saying there should be some safety standards, I agree.

davjohns

******Nope. Not a fan. That's why I didn't know the proper name for the event earlier.

The answer to your question, "How would you feel...", is that I would not care.

If you are saying that Botswana should not be able to choose who represents them when done within the IOC rules, I would object.

If you are saying there should be some safety standards, I agree.

Its about safety, I kind of assumed that was CanuckInUSA's point too, but I'm not sure.

I don't actually care that much if the sport is some 'harmless' sport, like 100m sprint, where the worst you can do is make an ass out of yourself with a subpar performance.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

Its about safety, I kind of assumed that was CanuckInUSA's point too, but I'm not sure.

Safety is an issue, but it is also about the integrity of the sport. If there was only one run in the Giant Slalom or Slalom events, then allowing these lessor experienced competitors to compete would not have any effect whatsoever on the final results of the race. But since there are two runs in the technical disciplines of Alpine Skiing and the courses deteriorate with not only usage but also deteriorate with time, having these massive field of competitors does influence the results of the 2nd run.

Vanessa Vanakorn is NOT a bad skier. It's just that she and some of these other fringe competitors just don't have the skills that one would expect to see at a major international event. I can't be the only one who watched that dude from Venezuela who took up ski racing this year. How he got in the GS is beyond me. But at least these fringe skiers are not allowed to compete in the Downhill or Super G disciplines. If they were, it would be the equivalent of allowing someone with a hundred jumps to try to compete in a PST Swoop event with a highly loaded cross-brace canopy. :o

CanuckInUSA

***Its about safety, I kind of assumed that was CanuckInUSA's point too, but I'm not sure.

Safety is an issue, but it is also about the integrity of the sport. If there was only run in the Giant Slalom or Slalom events, then allowing these lessor experienced competitors to compete would not have any effect whatsoever on the final results of the race. But since there are two runs in the technical disciplines of Alpine Skiing and the courses deteriorate with not only usage but also deteriorate with time, having these massive field of competitors does influence the results of the 2nd run.

Vanessa Vanakorn is NOT a bad skier. It's just that she and some of these other fringe competitors just don't have the skills that one would expect to see at a major international event. I can't be the only one who watched that dude from Venezuela who took up ski racing this year. How he got in the GS is beyond me. But at least these fringe skiers are not allowed to compete in the Downhill or Super G disciplines. If they were, it would be the equivalent of allowing someone with a hundred jumps to try to compete in a PST Swoop event with a highly loaded cross-brace canopy. :o

So maybe they should have a Junior Downhill for that class of competitor? ;)

I remember the first season I learned how to ski. By the end of the season, I'd just tuck and point myself straight down the intermediate slope and go as fast as the slope would let me, weaving around the slowpokes. In my mind, I was in The Downhill. I'm telling you, man, I was badass.

Like I said, write your idea down and send them to the IOC. Maybe they need to have qualifiers.

I just finished watching the first run of the Women's Slalom event and the skill level for the majority of the competitors was good. The girl who posted the slowest time wasn't the worst skier. She fell near the end of her run, but climbed back up to get through the gates which cost her a lot of time. There really was only one girl from Korea who was dirt slow. All the other competitors showed decent technique.