FreshMeat

Packing a New Chute

I just recently purchased a brand new Sabre2 170. Prior to that I have always jumped and packed whatever the gear rental place had at the DZ. This new Sabre2 is so slippery I can't get it into the bag. I really don't want to have to pay to get my rig packed for each jump. Anyone got any tips on how to get that bugger in there. Or should I pay to get it packed until it breaks in (I don't know how long it would take to break it in either)?
Mind Over Matter. If you don't Mind then it doesn't Matter.

One good trick is to do the S-folds in reverse order... make the fold near the "top" of your cocoon first then fit that part in the bag. Then make the fold on the bottom and squeeze that into the first one already in the bag. Hope that made sense... if not get someone at the DZ to show you.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just got the same canopy and size and I found that it is easier to psycho pack...I plan on using this method till I get it broke in....As with anything speak to your local rigger/packers before trying anything new..
I think you are going to like that canopyB|B|

--------------------------------------------------

That's the method I use, too. I have used it since I had about 30some jumps and was extremely frusterated with packing (i'm not very patient;)). I never bothered to learn the other way, this works for me with no problems and it certainly helps with a new parachute.

http://www.packingparachutes.com/techniques_tips/greed.htm

-A

Are you making sure to get as much air as possible out of the canopy before you make the S-folds. With new zero P the only way for the air to escape is through the stitching, so it take a bit more patients than with older canopies.
I lay down on the canopy after making it into that cigar shape prior to S-folding. By laying on it and tucking the excess at the sides underneath you can get a very neat, tight pack. Have the the bag ready before you take your weight off and then be quick about making the S-folds because Zero-p (especially when new) will tend to reinflate. The more air in the pack job the harder it will be to get into the bag.

ok, so i just got a new sabre 2 and have just spent an hour on this stupid thing trying to pack it. i wish i could go outside but it is so windy here in hampshire. So packing indoors, given up. I have come up with a great solution though. i am taking my rig to get different leg straps put on this weekend so i think the rigger can have this painful task of packing my new chute.
Then i am going to pay for it to get packed for the first 50 or so. These new canopies are meant to be exciting....just a shame that the excitment only lasts a few minutes at a time, and the pain lasts for so long.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I learned to pack a brand new crispy Spectre 170 with only 50 or so pack jobs and jumps to my name. If I did it you can too! :)

Sad to admit though that I probably couldn't do it anymore. As the canopy gets easier to pack, my skills devolve so that I can just barely handle it. Next new canopy, I'll just have to re-learn. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

well i just finished my third session trying to get my sabre-2 150 in to the bag...and got it.... i have had enough, and will be paying someone to pack it from now on, for a while.
i tell you though, it does give you alot of confidence when you finally get the slppery bastard in. Good luck to anyone buying a new canopy....you will love it for a couple of minutes at a time and hate it for ages:P

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Bought a new Sabre 2 150 and have about 60 jumps on it now, however, it probably has about 150 pack jobs on it …practiced packing it at least three times every night for the first month and it was the fourth night before it actually went in the bag. one mistake was putting too much pressure on it with my knee trying to contain it…it would slide all over the place. The reverse S fold helps a lot. Bought the video trouble free with zero p..it has some good tips on getting and keeping the air out. Good luck and lots of patience

I watch my rigger all the time. When you clearyour lines and give it that lil shake. He drops it on the ground flat and rolls across it. then when you got it all TUCKED UNDER, on the ground lay on top of it again. then do the hated tricky pain in the f@R^*#$ a(&^^#$ part quickly. thats the part where it starts to puff poof plop. I feel for ya. Good luck have fun. :ph34r:FATONES:ph34r:

I'm getting my brand new Pilot into the bag alright by just kneeling on it a lot while I do the S folding. You've got two knees, so use 'em ! With every fold you stack up, kneel on it again and keep that baby flattened. Then I pull the bag down over just the left side until I get the corner filled and I kneel on that side of the bag while I'm squashing and folding under loose ends on the right side. Then I pull the right side of the bag down and guess what - I kneel on the whole thing again. Once you get the first locking stow in the middle of the bag done, you've won the battle. You can even flip the bag up on end and just squash everything down into the bag and go right on stowing lines.

Disclaimer: Some people will say the Pilot is made of less slippery South African ZP material. I'm not so sure this is true anymore. I read somewhere that Aerodyne's gone over to good old American dragon snot fabric and my Pilot's plenty slippery, though it's getting better (Perris is dusty).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !