turtlespeed

Bike Riders . . . What would you do?

theonlyski

New link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbMr-hElDY

Obviously this was the fault of the guy driving the car. Look twice for motorcycles.:|

Again I disagree. That was the fault of a rider with his head up his ass and not paying attention to controlling his bike. The car may have been broken down, we don't know if it was stopped or just going slow for some reason.

Again, I ride. I'm not a bike hater. I'm a take responsibility for my own life rider.

If you meant that as sarcasm then point taken.

I was riding on the highway at night once and scared myself because a HUGE fucking truck was stopped in the slow lane - no brake lights, no warning lights, nothing. I was going at the speed limit and had *just* enough time to avoid a collision - I look frequently in my rear-view mirrors so I didn't think twice about swerving around it. Had I been forced to make an emergency stop I think I would have been pretty fucked. Also, had I noticed it only a fraction of a second later, I would have been pretty fucked...

So a totally stopped vehicle happens and it doesn't take much to be distracted and realise too late that you are creeping up on it... This is not to blame the parked vehicle, but simply a reality - we ride vehicles that go fast and even whilst following the speed limits, we sometimes think/react too slowly to avoid a bad situation.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

theonlyski

New link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbMr-hElDY

Obviously this was the fault of the guy driving the car. Look twice for motorcycles.:|

If you think that's the fault of the guy driving the car then you are an ignorant fool. The motorcyclist didn't have control of his bike and his excessive speed was to blame. Oh and he hit the mother fucker from behind.

cruelpops

***New link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbMr-hElDY

If you think that's the fault of the guy driving the car then you are an ignorant fool. The motorcyclist didn't have control of his bike and his excessive speed was to blame. Oh and he hit the mother fucker from behind.

I'm pretty sure he was laying the sarcasm on in that post. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Non-rider response: I hate seeing bikes split lanes of moving traffic. I would have no problem with bikes moving forward through lanes of stopped traffic: if nothing else, it would be an incentive in a big city to ride a motorcycle rather than drive a car, which would help relieve congestion and get more gph out of gas burned (better for the environment).

Splitting MOVING traffic, however, is a different story for me. Suddenly we're trying to fit three vehicles into the space for two (two lanes) and the likelihood of bad shit happening goes through the roof.

Motorcyclists whine and complain that they want more space, more respect, and attention from the cagers. You argue that you aren't covered in a metal cage, that (at most, if you're smart, and if we're lucky) you only have a helmet and leathers to protect you. THEN, you want to cut down on already less-than-adequate maneuvering room on the highways by lane splitting moving traffic. And finally, if an accident DOES happen, as mentioned above it's automatically the fault of the driver of the car.

IMO, you can't have it both ways, folks.

Elvisio "wearing my nomex" Rodriguez

ryoder

***At exactly 30sec in the vid you can see the driver looking down and forward. NOT to the side and back which is were one would be looking if you were trying to "murder" someone splitting lanes.

Exactly.
The trucker never saw him coming.
Attached is the screen capture.

I do 4-5000 miles a year cycling, and a cardinal rule is to never pass another vehicle (parked or moving) close enough to be caught by an opening door. That is even dumber on a motorcycle.

Same rules when you are driving a city bus.
Give the idiots at least 4.5 feet (130 cm) to be stupid.
You would be amazed at how may people step out of the left sides of their cars into moving traffic ... without looking.
Why more of those idiots are not dead is a mystery to me????????

I just stand an eight of an inch in front of them and TALK to them in my drill sergeant voice. I don't even bother using profanity. I don't bother speculating on their ancestry. I don't bother speculating on their sexual practices.
They don't enjoy those 30 seconds any more than I enjoy limping for 30 days.

The last woman - who knocked me off my bicycle - was last seen pleading guilty on front of a judge.

riggerrob

******At exactly 30sec in the vid you can see the driver looking down and forward. NOT to the side and back which is were one would be looking if you were trying to "murder" someone splitting lanes.

Exactly.

I do 4-5000 miles a year cycling, and a cardinal rule is to never pass another vehicle (parked or moving) close enough to be caught by an opening door. That is even dumber on a motorcycle.

Same rules when you are driving a city bus.
Give the idiots at least 4.5 feet (130 cm) to be stupid.
You would be amazed at how may people step out of the left sides of their cars into moving traffic ... without looking.
Why more of those idiots are not dead is a mystery to me????????

I think the trucker was looking in his mirror.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So, without knowing where this was shot, and without knowing if the bike was doing a legal move or not ( I'm guessing not ), the only conclusion this disinterested third party can come to is: Double Fault.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

ryoder

***At exactly 30sec in the vid you can see the driver looking down and forward. NOT to the side and back which is were one would be looking if you were trying to "murder" someone splitting lanes.

Exactly.

Dumbass biker got what he deserved.

ryoder

Exactly.

Hard to do lane splitting which can be done safely and even legally in some places. Figure doors on both sides plus the with of an FLT. Hardly ever that much room.

That said the biker here was in idiot. What no one mentions here unless I missed it is that he had a fricken passenger on the back! I have races motorcycles for many years and have slid my ultra on occasion without a bump in my HR. I am not against lane splitting but that guy is a #$%#&. Hope that girls father watched that video
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

At 30 seconds you see the driver in motion to get out of his truck.
If he was trying to take out the biker I doubt he'd have been opening the door and preparing to step out.
More then likely he'd of pushed the door open and sat back as far as he could.
Looks like traffic was backed up and he was about to step out for some reason.
I automatically check my mirror before opening my door but on a single lane road during a back up I could see where someone would assume no ones going to come up along side you.
If he did do it on purpose he belongs in prison.