wmw999

Different way to go postal

I'm out of town for six months. That's just a fact. So we filed a temporary forwarding order, and then cancelled and submitted a new one when we got an actual PO box at the new one. But we've been getting very little mail.

Turns out that our home post office has been returning stuff to sender. Not all of it, as we get the occasional item.

So I called the general line, and they confirmed that we have valid forwarding orders, said they contacted the local PO, and that everything should be fine.

So now some mail appeared in our mailbox at home (it's checked on e a week). I called the local PO (the one the complaints line said they contacted). I was informed that not only do we not have a forwarding order in place, but that we cannot cancel one online, that we should always do it in person, and that the employee I spoke with (not a supervisor as requested) wouldn't trust a forwarding order herself.

She was endlessly patient and polite, but there was absolutely NO resolution. She gave me the number for the forwarding center, but they don't answer, of course. If I were there, I'd march in and sit there until I spoke with a sentient being. But if I were there, I wouldn't need a forwarding order, would I?:S

Just venting, but now I feel better

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When I was in college, I was a co-op student. That meant at the end of each semester, I was either moving from college to the job, or from the job back to college. When moving to the job, I would submit the forwarding card to the PO. When moving back to the school, I would contact them to make sure the forwarding was stopped.

Well, one time I had been back to school for two weeks with no mail. I contacted the PO, and they assured me the forwarding had been stopped. Still no mail. After the third or so time of bugging them, they finally looked into it further, and found the West Lafayette IN PO was still forwarding it to White Settlement TX, and the White Settlement TX PO was forwarding it back to IN, rinse, repeat.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wmw999

I'm out of town for six months. That's just a fact. So we filed a temporary forwarding order, and then cancelled and submitted a new one when we got an actual PO box at the new one. But we've been getting very little mail.

Turns out that our home post office has been returning stuff to sender. Not all of it, as we get the occasional item.

So I called the general line, and they confirmed that we have valid forwarding orders, said they contacted the local PO, and that everything should be fine.

So now some mail appeared in our mailbox at home (it's checked on e a week). I called the local PO (the one the complaints line said they contacted). I was informed that not only do we not have a forwarding order in place, but that we cannot cancel one online, that we should always do it in person, and that the employee I spoke with (not a supervisor as requested) wouldn't trust a forwarding order herself.

She was endlessly patient and polite, but there was absolutely NO resolution. She gave me the number for the forwarding center, but they don't answer, of course. If I were there, I'd march in and sit there until I spoke with a sentient being. But if I were there, I wouldn't need a forwarding order, would I?:S

Just venting, but now I feel better

Wendy P.

Hi 99

Brilliant post B|:D:ph34r::D:D:D
One Jump Wonder

ryoder

After the third or so time of bugging them, they finally looked into it further, and found the West Lafayette IN PO was still forwarding it to White Settlement TX, and the White Settlement TX PO was forwarding it back to IN, rinse, repeat.:S

Way to go, create a routing loop in the USPS.:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

oldwomanc6

It USED to be simple to put in a request for an address change (perm or temp): fill out a post card, and that was that.

Now, it's just an exercise in futility. It cost, now, too. :(

Yeah, you dig out a credit card and they nick you $1.05 online to do that, per person. :S

Wow... has to be that office... I've had nothing but good experiences when I've used online forwarding and mail holds via USPS web site. For my last two moves, I was able to extend the forwards for more than a year - I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a single piece of mail. Also used the hold service and also to redirect to a mail service for about 6 months - both times were great too. This was in CA and RI. And I NEVER had to go inside of a Post Office - don't think I've seen the inside of one of those in years!!!

Good luck - sounds like you have a local PO that is still a few decades behind!

Nothing like intentional sabotage to bring down an institution.

Seriously though, I'm still getting mail for my ex and the divorce was final two years ago.>:(

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

JerryBaumchen

Hi Tink,

I'm still getting mail for my ex and the divorce was final two years ago.

I occasionally get mail for my ex; and we've been divorced for 22 yrs. And she has never lived at my current address.

:S

JerryBaumchen

Maybe, she's hopeful, and sends her bills to you, thinking you might pay an occasional one w/o realizing. :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Maybe, she's hopeful, and sends her bills to you, thinking you might pay an occasional one w/o realizing.

There are many.......:P
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

Yeah, AND since she changed her address, the state changed my property tax bill to go to her address instead of mine. She's NOT on the deed.>:(